Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

motivating

most student have alot of personal issues going on alot of these student get motivation by just coming to class and doing the activities in class

motivating student

have them to do activities in class so that they can motivated and awake to learn

Managing students who lack soft skills

I have found that some of my students are completely deficent in the area of soft skills. what is the most effective way to manage them, especially when they are violating rules.

I try to convey the importance of soft skills to tech students

As an instructor teaching technical (computer) skills to students there is a feeling that many workers in the IT field are the stereotypical nerdy introvert types, secluded in a server room and not expected to interact, this is not true at all! I try to convey to my students that companies are looking for those who are soft skill savvy, they want people who can interact well with others and can handle themselves given various circumstances.

Soft Skills v Classroom management

I often find myself being to soft on my soft skills which sometimes results in a disruptive class. How do I manage both?

Generational Skills

I find that different generations have different skill levels of EQ in different areas. Change for example, is dealt with differently across generations. How can you effectively manage that in a classroom?

Grading Writing Assignments

Grading writing assignments can certainly be challenging. Do most instructors use a rubric when grading these assignments? What elements would you include on that rubric and what kind of weight would you give to each of those elements?

Managing Your Emotions

Managing your emotions is a very important skill for everyone's success. As an instructor, if I can't manage my emotions, I don't know how I can even attempt to assist students in managing their emotions; especially when I have allowed myself to drop down to their level. In order to become the most effective and inspiring instructor that I can be, I must at all times, manage my emotions dispite what the situation is and how disrespectful a student is acting. Until I am able to understand how to manage my own personal emotions, is when, and only when I… >>>

Hard Skills vs Soft Skills

I was surprised to learn in this course that a harvard study has shown that soft people skills far outweigh hard skills. I answered that question as 50%- 50%. I teach at a vocational college where hard skills play a larger role in teaching.I have no problem with the soft skills as I have been teaching for 15 yrs.still if i am not a expert in the hard skills ( cooking ) than the soft skills don't matter as much. Do others in vocational colleges agree?

Most important soft skill(s)

Which of the ten(10)soft skills identified by the 1997 study do you consider to be the most important to your specific job?

Emotional Intelligence

What problems do you have in your workplace when trying to use the skill of emotional intelligence?

behavior

Positive attitude is key to the success of a work enviroment

soft skills

It was a good course to participate in. I feel active learning is definitely a part of the class room learning process. I learn well from lecture. Not everybody does.

Developing Professional Skills

How do you help your students define their professional skills?

Effective Communication

What are some ways you illustrate to your students the value of having effective communication skills?

Becoming a Lifelong Learner

What strategies are you using to help your students to see how they can become lifelong learners?

Positive Attitude

I believe that having positive attitude is the key to instructing students. What is your favorite soft skill?

EQ: Learned or Innate

If an individual does not have a high EQ, is this a trainable trait or is it a nature that we are born with. Some studies have been involved in teaching this to young students because their behaviors are not fully established, but is it possible for grown adults to acquire this soft skill? Generalizations such as the Myers Briggs test group people's attributes of personality into dyadic separations usually based on emotions vs information. Changes that usually occur on this scale are not pendulum like. In my experience, individuals with a low EQ can mimic behaviors of those with… >>>

Good Listener

Listening skills are an incredibly important skill for teachers. It is difficult for a teacher to know what needs to be taught unless he can hear what is missing, what needs clarification and what is understood. If a class of any age feels the teacher does not hear them, their needs or their concerns, then the learning will suffer whether the teacher knows it or not.

Dealing with criticism

I constantly need to work on the way I deal with criticism from co-workers. There are times where I feel attacked and haven't been able to properly accept the feedback given. This is something I need to remind myself that the feedback is for the greater good and is a part of my job. After taking this course I have realized I need to be more aware of my emotions and manage them more effectively. Are there any examples of others and how they effectively deal with criticism?