Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Motivating Students

I am teaching a Human Growth & Development class right now and some days I am seriouslly thinking of showing up to my class dress as a clown just to get them going. If anyone have some suggestions on how to motivate this specific group I would appreciate it.

I find I can motivate students early in the morning by looking at some funny videos and/or getting some to dance in the classroom. There are always those who will and it stimulates others to follow their lead.

I would try some Motivational Interviewing techniques on the class. It is a technique counselors have found to be effective with drug addicts and has also been used by doctors to attain treatment compliance. Here is a link to one site. http://www.nova.edu/gsc/forms/mi_rationale_techniques.pdf

Motivation and motion often work in the classroom. I cut up questions and answers and have students try to find the appropriate match

I utilize a similar technique by projecting an incomplete diagram, flow chart, or schematic on a whiteboard and have the students complete it. Sometimes the competition to make corrections can be lively!

Wilbur ,
Lively interactions in the classroom is often times what helps people to remember the class. if a class is not lively what are the chances they will remember it?
Philip Campbell

I agree - an instructor who comes in with enthusiasm and a positive attitude is contagious.You have to love what you do or do something else! Find a "fun" icebreaker that relates to your subject matter to pep things up.

Christine,
Icebreakers are fun and add anxiety at the same time. But, it allows students to get outside their comfort zones and explore which is what we want, and they need to be successful.
Philip Campbell

yea,an instructor with alot of enthusiasm about the lesson that is able to draw students into lesson helps course become fun

charles,
Thanks you for the post. Enthusiasm can create a lot of excitement in a course and then keeps a student coming back night after night or day after day.
Philip Campbell

My students are always very receptive when we play interactive educational games.

Motivation helps build confidence which is a key to success.

Jessica,
Usually those types of interactions is what makes the classes more interesting and fun to attend.
Philip Campbell

I find friendly competition to be a good motivator. Divide the class into teams and give each team a project to do in class. However, the first team to adhere to the rules of the project & successfully complete it will receive a bonus. Even students on the fringe seem to come around when bragging rights are on the line.

This is an area that we can all be better at with just a tad of listening to our students. I try any method that will capture their attention at 6:00 am. The motivator always works when you can keep them interested with some laughter and hands on projects that keep them involved and interested.

Juan,
Motivation is the key in anything. If someone is not motivated the task becomes work.
Philip Campbell

Not sure if you can do anytype of demo to keep them engaged. I teach advanced culinary and in the lecture room i will sometimes demo a dish that they are making the next day from start to finish. This term i have been using a tool for my students to understand the importance of raw food to the finished product and to understand the methods in between each step and flavors of the finished product. For example yesterday i demoed how dry toasting spices like cumin, fennel, coriander seeds and let my students smell the dry spices first before i dry toasted them. The main purpose is to release the spices natural oils which impacts the maximum flavor development. I then proceed to grind them in a mortal and pestle and you should see how there eyes light up when they can smell and taste the difference ^_^

Sign In to comment