Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Learning techniques

I loved learning more about the Learning techniques

STOP negativity right when it starts!!! Please give me your expert advice

Sometimes it feels like there are so many nice flowery concepts. But no steps to implement.

The goal is to keep a positive climate in the class (everyones attitudes) So there's less behaviors to deal with. :)

I think this can be done by being positive yourself and nipping negativity as quickly as possible.

When I start a class I emphasis that your work is usually the biggest portion of your awake hours so you want it to be a happy place. And I put quotes on the board everyday ex "Be a fountain not a drain." "If you were… >>>

Learning styes

I have seen several types of learning styles at work in my clinical students. There are some who truggle in the didactic portion of their education, but when they get into the clinical portion of their education they really flourish

Realism

Having taught now for over 10 years in a technical college I have found that I tend to offer more "realisms" than technical skills.  These realisms are just that, what to expect in life and how to navigate through them as the pop up in your life.  The most interesting connection is that i often see more students do better in class subject matter once they have learned how to deal with these life situations.  Yes, professionalism, computer technology, ethical balance, and interpersonal communications is despirately needed in today's college level courses.

Soft skills vs hard skills

The majority of our students within our program lack soft skills and work place behaviors do to their backgrounds and life situations.  Students that come in lack in these areas have a hard time transitioning during their training in the program resulting in being absent constantly, leaving early, or being tardy.  In the end, after every positive effort coming from the instructor, the student will be great appreciative of all the hard work we put in with these students.

Emotions

When I first starting instructing I found it quite difficult with contolling my facial expressions only. My verbal expressions of emotions were intact and self-controlled. Now I work everyday to be more aware of my facial expressions as well because I feel this could be a important Soft Skill to possess, as well. Does anyone feel the same?

Group Projects and Project Presentations

I really think the students learn a lot by doing research projects and presenting them to the class every module.  

Having students present material

Have you allowed student to present material for a class presentation?

Disarming the bomb

I'm looking for key phrases or appropriate wording to use when an emotional "bomb goes off" in the classromm/lab environment. During the lesson, de-escalation and moving toward a resolution are mentioned, and obviously tact and respect must be coupled quickly and effectively with control as a "peacemaker" but also as the role model for the class. Tempers and explosive situations aren't the norm, but what are some phrases or good word choices you recommend to diffuse such a scenario? Thank you for your feedback [ John ]

What are some ways to develop effective communication in the classroom?

Effective communication may be developed through group projects. When students work together in a team enviornment, it gives them the opportunity to develop professionalism skills. It also provides the opportunity to use critical thinking and communication. There are many aspects to effective communication including active listnening and problem solving. When students complete projects in a group setting it also gives them the opportunity to work on conflict resolution skills and time management.

Soft skills

This area of teaching is definetly something I need to work on more. I feel I have deveoloped my soft skills over my time as a teacher, but I want to improve. I enjoyed this course. 

Soft Skills are So Important

This discussion on soft sills was such an eye opener for me.  I feel that I am strong in my soft skills but found areas that can use improvement.  I did not realize how strongly soft skills relate to people skills and success in the classroom.  I will strive to improve negativiity in the classroom with a positve outcome!

feedback

should feedback be done on a rubic scale?

I KNOW YOU CAN REFLECT SOFT PEOPLE SKILLS OR HARD PEROPLE SKILLS ,

How do we gain trust to new group of students when we show soft people skills....should we be firmer?

I think I am better at soft people skills and sometimes I think my students confuse that with a very soft teacher....what is my limit?

I KNOW YOU CAN REFLECT SOFT PEOPLE SKILLS OR HARD PEROPLE SKILLS ,

How do we gain trust to new group of students when we show soft people skills....should we be more firm?

I think I am better at soft people skills and sometimes I think my students confused that with a very soft teacher....what is my limit?

Soft Skills

How do you earn trust as a new instructor?

Good Information

This was very positive reinforcement on important skills employees need in any workforce.

Teaching Argumentative Writing as a way to Enhance Soft Skills

One of the challenges that I face as an English instructor is to find new and innovative ways to teach rhetoric and argumentative writing. Does anyone have any ideas on how to stress to students the relevancy of basical rhetorical concepts in the workplace?

soft skills

I think that a persons soft skills help to manage the classes over all progression.

Writing

I am going to let my students do more team work. I really like that idea.