Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student emotions

What are some of the techniques you have used to manage students who have many personal problems which affect their learning performance and concentration?

I have practiced the good listening skills when faced with this challenge and try to provide some positive feedbacks to help them finding the solutions to their issues and maximize their learning opportunities.

Daniel,
Showing you are interested in what they are saying does mean a lot to students. It will get some buy in to what you are doing in class as well.
Philip Campbell

I make sure i am honest with them about the expectations of the class. Then give them an opporitunity to express to me what skills they are lacking (or what personal problems they are having) that do not allow them to meet these expectations. Once we know where the student is actually having trouble...it makes coming up with an action plan and helping them solve the problem much more effective.

I also practice good listening skills which is sometimes all the student needs. Then if needed I will tell them of my own challenges that I faced during my college education and how that provided even more desire for me to graduate. Finally I remind them that challenges will always be present. Some day they will balance challnges and a career and being able to find solutions now will certainly help them in the future.

I also practice good listing skill, then I try to give them positive feedback as to how the decision that they've made to continue their education can help them to move forward from that situation.

Sign In to comment