Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Soft Skills in an Online Enviroment

As an online Comp I facilitator for a mid-sized college, many students start the course lacking in several areas of soft skills. The development of self-esteem, time management, self-awareness, and personal responsibility are vital to the success of the online course and, truthfully, with any college class.

Generally, the students hold a job and already have these skills to some degree, but may not understand how or why these skills should be used in an online enviroment. The frustration (and sometimes fear!) of the writing and research composition entails are significant factors that I strive to continually defeat.

Building this bridge for the students calls upon my own skills of patience, commitment, flexibility, and adaptability are often called on to nearly extreme extents. The danger here lies between being understanding vs. students taking advantage of the perceived 'weakness' or 'slackness' that they may feel I project.

The true test is to be fair and use soft skills, but project the same self-awareness and personal integrity that I attempt to foster with my students. Sometimes, since I do not see the students personally, it is difficult and mistakes/misunderstandings take place.

Any insight on how to improve the bond between student and facilitator could be enlightening.

I believe the best way to facilitate is to not take anything personally.

Excellent point. In our training field, many of our instructors have had very little exposure to "customers" or students. Once faced with a classroom full of students they can find themselves on the defense. It takes some time to learn this skill and allow comments or challenges to roll off their backs.

Since words have no emotion they are taken at face value. Choosing your words are more critical on line. Having been an on line student for years,I find that the teachers that praise students and are using soft skills do better. You will never get all students to bond with you, don't change your teaching skills to accomodate a few students. The biggest complaint students have with on line teachers is that they take a very long time to get projects graded and posted. Stay current with classroom discussions. Be consistant with grading. If you are doing your best they will respect you. Good luck

Sign In to comment