Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

teaching soft skills

It would be ideal to teach a class in soft skills, does any one see this lacking in Gen Y

Valentina,
I wonder if we did a poll where we would see the results of soft skills being deficient per generation?
Philip Campbell

It would be ideal to teach a class in soft skills. I don't necessarily consider one particular generation to be lacking in soft skills, but rather people in the social networking era. It seems as if skills such as being a good listener, being polite and tactful, and exhibiting sincere interest in others are lacking in a world where the computer is the means for communication. Tact has completely gone out the window in some venues. I think the ability to develop soft skills has been diminished by decreased face to face communication.

Kathryn,
Great point about some of the face to face going away. In light of that going away and probably not coming back anytime soon what things can we focus on to keep the soft skills intact even though we are not having as much of the face to face as we have had in the past?
Philip Campbell

It is very important that we have classes to address this disappearing skill.

I train students in the service industry, and sometimes I find it very difficult to explain that the body language, listening and conversational skills that I try and teach are very important.

I tell them in the service industry these skills will make you a better manager and service provider.

This is an excellent comment and I totally agree. The art of conversation needs to be revived, starting with very young children. I think the need and development for soft skills has been perceived as not necessary -- but that is exactly why it is needed now more than ever. The student who states they don't need to learn about soft skills is the one who needs it the most. We don't seek help in something that we think we already have!

Sign In to comment