Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Managing Emotions

Managing emotions is a fine art that very few people have mastered. I am asking for advice on the following: Let's say you sit in an area at the office where you are surrounded by many employees because of lack of space. So therefore you are constantly hearing other people's conversations, and a lot of them are not appropriate. Specifically, you hear others talk trash about other employees, the school as an organization and even students. Let's say you have given suggestions on handle to handle these feelings on many occasions, but they never seem to take your advice--they just continue to complain. They are all talk and no action. So what do you do? This has happened to me a lot and I have had to keep myself a time or two from losing my temper.

I've worked in different health care settings, and unfortunately this is very common. I have dealt with people by pulling the person aside and just to let him/her know that was said was not appropriate. Lets just put it this way, many people are upset when they are called on their behavior. I figured, if they are this blunt, I can be the same but professionally.

I have had students vent to me about other instructors. As I am a peer to that instructor I advise the studens to talk to the department head,if not resolved there I instruct them to follow the chain of command.

Jeanie,
This is a hard situation to be in. We always want students to come to us when they have a problem, but these situations make it difficult. I agree that following the chain of command is the best way.
Philip Campbell

Managing emotions is one soft skill that is extremely challenging for me especially working with students in a healthcare enviroment and majority of students are females. When I have to give students constructive feedback on performance it is viewed as criticism. I try to always state the issue, provide a corrective action plan and to short term follow up with the student. In addition, I always try to provide the positives by continuing to motivate my students. I feel majority of students feel as though they are getting picked on and really don't take our feedback under advisement especially since we have a career in this particular area.

As an instructor it would be important to manage your emotions. There are times when the occassional student is looking to "push your buttons" to bring out a negative response. Being the professional it would be to your advantage to maintain control of the situation rather than becoming overly aggressive or demeaning.

Michelle,
Pushing buttons seems like it is a sensitive topic to some people. What is equally important is know what your buttons are. That way, when they get pushed, you can react differently.
Philip Campbell

here is whent we have to manegment our emaotion
un cotrol negative emotion change the negative for a positive actitud if we are on controle it have to be patient student need to be shown that we care even they don't use the best of ther actitude or tray hard to prove something let then to exprese themself be patiente be open to the bebate sow been patient we have no bottom if we are on control of uor emotion common cense

Sign In to comment