Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

People Skills

Positivity goes a long way in the workplace.

Diversity

It is almost impossible not to encounter diversity in the workforce today, this is why it is very important for all corporations to provide Diversity training as it will benefit both staff and customers. Too many times we tend to stereotype cultures because of what has been projected by the media and this is the belief that must be changed in the mindsets of those that represent any corporation. It's almost like the "first impression" you get from the "person at the front desk." We are in the business of changing futures changing lives not only for our students but… >>>

Technology = no hard or soft skills

Technology today has taken away all hard and soft skills. Younger students are so socially grounded "behind a screen" that when human interaction takes place, the student almost "freezes" and is unable to act / perform / learn. Technology today has taught students that information does not have to be learned and stored... because you can access this information in seconds with an internet search. Teachers have new struggles to overcome with teaching hard and soft skills as technology has given students an "excuse" on why NOT to learn.

Conflicts with a Colleague

Not long ago, I was swept up into a series of negative interactions with a now former colleague that were unavoidable. My Soft Skills are pretty good as indicated by years of positive and always improving student evaluations, performance evaluations, and informal feedback, but this colleague pushed me beyond my limits and abilities I had at the time. I therefore didn't always handle interactions with him in the best or most positive way; I wasn't able to. I had never encountered an individual like this before and it was blowing my mind; it was incomprehensible to me at the time.… >>>

having a positive attitude

I sometimes find if difficult to have a positive attitude when students are not passionate or interested in what they are learning.

Soft Skills

Soft skills are very important! All Instructors should have them, if not this could be detrimental to students.

Soft skills

Softer skills are needed towards students.Sometime we as instructors can be very insensitive and we should place ourselves in the students place before we respond to them. They also have lives outside of school that are very challenging and rough, that is why they are attending school to help them make better of themselves. If we can make them see that we are on their side it would be so much better for both us and the students.

Soft skills

How can we actually know someone is managing emotions rather than repressing them? Just because they seem to be managing them isn't it possible for them to be repressing them?

Hard skills verssis soft

You can have all the lab skills in the world, but if you can not get the student to understand then all those tech skills go right out the window and what good is that, Its up to you, to see that light come on that's the best feeling as an Instructor and Its all worth the work that you do.

Soft Skills Vs Hard Skills

It has been my experience that if you can lead your class with empathy, intelligence, and motivation they will succeed to the utmost. If one of those factors is lacking, then you will notice the missing component quickly, and should be able to work on improving each situation.

E-Q

negitive to positive situations can be handled tactfully suggesting a different method or personal experience that proved success.

Rubbing Off Professional Behavior and Time Management on Students

We have all had terms where new class was given to us at the last minute, or there was a last minute schedule change. This last minute change can often put the teacher a bit off-kilter, especially toward the beginning of the term. I've had this happen before myself, and I've noticed that if I project a vibe of poor time management and poor preparedness, this rubs off on the students in a very bad way. One thing I make sure to do know with all of my classes, and make a very intentional projection of professionalism, good time management,… >>>

Old dog, new tricks...

What is the easiest way to ease older staff into the daily routine of a modern Motorsports dealership's tech heavy day to day operations?

Is EQ Really Coachable?

It is my humble opinion, our ability to identify and manage our own and others’ emotions is fairly stable over time, influenced by our early childhood experiences and even genetics. That does not mean we cannot change it, but, realistically, long-term improvements will require a great deal of dedication and guidance. Everyone can change, but few people are seriously willing to try. Think about the worst boss you ever had — how long would it take him to start coming across as more considerate, sociable, calm or positive? And that’s the easier part — changing one’s reputation. It is even… >>>

Soft skill and EQ

Soft skills and Emotional intelligence are very important in teaching, students is a customer and to win them; instructor has to understand and be proficient on these skills. This helps build rapport and trust.

Professional Skills

Not exactly sure as to what I'd like to post/discuss on this class. The name of the course is very misleading. Issues on attitude, teamwork and negotiation where not addressed. Yes writing and computer lit are an important part of a career but those fall under hard skills. Professionalism it's self is a soft skill. Soft skills are tricky to teach because they involve making adjustments to students personality and people skills. Issues can be discussed and situations can be practiced. But I believe the best way to teach it is through leading by example. All staff on campus should… >>>

EQ is important even in highly technical fields.

Ultimately, projects, etc. have to be proposed, presented, and promoted. It takes soft skills to do carry this out successfully. Please present your examples.

Managing and utilizing body language in the classroom.

What are your thoughts on the use and management of body language in response to situations that arise in the classroom?

ED205

I feel like I really got great things to help me on every page!Time keeping to prioritizing was great. Life long learner just knowing how to learn and I feel that all of us at some has to do a self assessment at some time in our lives.Cant say enough about this corse Thankyou!

Soft skills in the Classroom

How would soft skills be useful in the classroom.