Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Getting personally involved with student problems

Is it more important to be a good listener and empathize or have a list/offer solutions to problems students are having outside of class? Or both? I try to do both but mostly I think listening may be more imporant...I may be the only person who is listening and they just want to vent. What do you think?

Engaging Students

Energy and enthusiasm are irreplaceable. Even with this strong statement, how do you get those with variety of ages to join togather?

Using this in my Job (Career) Development class

Another great module! Thank you so much. The information that I have just learned (and recalled) is going to come in very handy as a part of my Job Development Course I teach. I do go over Hard versus Soft Skills, but this just adds so much more. I also enjoyed this course, because I was able to take a look at myself, as an Instructor, as to just how many of my "soft skills" I am using. In addition, how many do I need to improve on. Thanks again for a great module. Christine M.

Classroom climate, soft skills, social & emotional intelligence

My research uncovered 5 actors that influence organizational and individual performance - and they are all directly related to the topic of soft skills. One of these 5 factors was climate - how you feel about the way things are done around here - how do you influence someone else's feelings? The literature points to using factors in the aire such as trust, respect, flexibility, supportiveness and cohesivenss. Who wouldn't want to excel in an environment where these were the hallmarks of personal interaction. Using these as a foundation in live chat sessions, discussion board interaction and email communication will… >>>

EQ Test

Does anyone know where a good test for emotional intelligence (EQ) can be found? Preferably online.

Proper Soft Skills for Losing One's Temper

I had a student that was chronically late, didn't take notes or pay attention. On the last day, that student showed up late and then interrupted the class. Consequently, I lost my temper. The class had about 8 students in it. Should I have apologized in front of the others or waited to do it later in private? Should I have apologized to the whole class or the single student? Thanks!

SOFT SKILLS

WHAT IS THE BEST APPROACH WHEN TEACHING STUDENTS THE IMPORTANCE OF SOFT SKILLS

Comparing skills

I think this module had a lot of great information about the differences and similarities between the different skills that are needed to be successful in the workplace and in life. Helping students learn about these skills and how they relate will help them succeed in their future career.

Soft skills in the workplace

in my experience, teaching soft skills will get you far far greater in the work place (i instruct for a job that is strictly people based at college) and will net you a longer career.

Understading

Make sure their is understanding before reveiwing, no matter how much you review if a stiudent does nor understand, more than likely he or she will not pass an exam

Review and Discussion

It is always good to review and have open discussion with students before taking a test. Sometimes it helps them tobetter prepare with any last minute touch ups.

EQ and IQ in hiring

I understand and support the data that most problems and dismissals in the workplace are caused by soft skill or EQ issues. However, perhaps that is because the technical or hard skills are a given, something like compensation. I have also seen research that shows that cognitive ability tests are the best indicators of job success. However, because of the adverse impact, they are not often used. How do you integrate these two ideas?

Working through emotions

In the workplace, there are many types of people that have many different types of personalities. One may have soft skills and display a character that another that has soft skills doesn't understand. Many people become offended too easily in the workplace. Many have underlying emotions that are brought to the workplace and taken out on other people. Soft skills are very important to have in any area of life especially when teaching. Being able to approach someone and be approachable are keys to be a successful instructor.

Soft skills

I really enjoyed this module. We have a annual advisory board meeting. This board discuss areas in which our students need improvement across the board. The number one topic is "Soft Skills". I can walk away with greater knowledge understanding the difference between EQ and IQ. The tips were also helpful pertaining to becoming aware of your emotions.

Learning Thy Self

I think before we develop skill sets such as soft skills, we first have to know ourselves. Many instructors including myself don't know what makes us who we are. We have to list self weaknesses, strength and then figure out what makes us tick or motivate us from the start. By learning ourselves, we can then focus on development of soft skills based on ourselves. We often do these type of learning thinking that one size fits all attitude. We are all unique and diverse that by using these techniques to fit out needs. Often we are too busy with… >>>

Emotional Intelligence

This is a topic that is new for me and I am very excited to learn about it

soft skills

fisrt be a good listener and solve conflicts

Motivating students with positive attitude

It is true...you get what you give...So, when you bring a positive attitude to the classroom, you will, mostlikely, receive the same from your students.

Soft skill + Classroom attitude

A great class is a motivated Instructor and an Interested class.

Soft skills

Soft skills are essentially important for all types of students but most important to the troubled students. Identifying them and meeting their needs is only done through these skills. Instructors that lack these skills should not be teachers. They cannot be effective teachers unless they get to know their students and identify their needs educationally. Some students will not be sucessful unless approached in the right manner. For many of these students, you only get one shot at this. If approached in the wrong way, in a threatening manner for example, they may completely shut down and it may become… >>>