Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

important soft skill for an instructor.

Being polite,tactful, honest, providing a constructive feedback and having good positive relationships with students is key success for a good instructor.

abdul.gardezy,
All good ones. Thanks for your post. These are also what students look for even though they may not come out and say it.
Philip Campbell

Now I know that the soft skill is so important for successful of a person especially in a clinical setting once we add hard skills plus workplace behavior and we develop them in our own professional life it will become very supportive for successful continuation of our job.

abdul.gardezy,
Great, now take that knowledge and use it as teachable moments in class.
Philip Campbell

i would like to add "fairness" to that list. Students come to me all the time with late assignments, excuses for not coming to class on time, excuses for not taking their tests on time. I feel that any exception made for one student unless there are significant extenuating circumstances is unfair to the rest of the class. If a student requests an extension on their homework assignment and most/all other students struggled to have it completed on time if I allow that student to submit their assignment late I feel that I am sending a message that its ok not to meet the deadline-how does that translate in the real world of working? not well.

Rose Ann,
Nice point. One that is easily forgotten. We should remember to model that as well with our students.
Philip Campbell

i feel that many times the students have to learn that its just not "I" but other students, many of whom have just as many problems, in the class, yet they seem to understand and manage to get it done. i think it has to do with the committment to move forward with one's goals and make it happen. Personally, i waste too much time on the marginal students and the great students are left to fend for themselves. if i could devote that time to THOSE students they would be spectacular at what they do.

Sign In to comment