Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How to encourage Emotional Intelligence skills in students

I teach Psychology and have noticed that many of my students lack emotional intelligence skills. This topic is even briefly lectured on, but the mindset of the students doesn't seem to change from the beginning to the end of the course. I know that the students would be more successful throughout their program of study and in the work place if they would actually recognize their deficit and practice using emotional intelligence. Any ideas?

Michelle,
There are a few options out there to help this. If your school could come up with one institute it across all programs, there could be greater success.
Philip Campbell

As the program chair of a health care profession and a former business owner i keenly understand the need for soft skills in the workplace. the college offers a success skills course and i insist on teaching it for my program. we spend quite a bit of time on the soft skills and i constantly encourage students thruout their education to utilize those skills we discussed. I find that those students with some work experience get it while those who have not worked don;t have a clue. OTJ training is great, regardless of what it is.

I teach psychology, too! I actually have a curriculum for teaching soft skills that I developed, based on my understanding of psychology, workplace behaviors, and overall life success required for personal happiness. It often comes down to helping them understand that they possess the very things they need to be successful. Going back to an earlier training I took with MK, the more they understand their own autonomy and ability that they currently have, the more their soft skills grow and can see the light of day (for some.) I hope you have found a method that works. If not, feel free to message me if you would like my notes.

Sign In to comment