Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

A B C & D

Answering the questions A- Audience, B- Behavior, C-Condition, and D- Degree have been a big help in re-writing old daily lesson plans. Having these question answered for each daily topic pretty much spells out the where and how to get to where we need to go.

Tree Diagram

For lecture notes, I have always worked from an outline. Unfortunately, I am also a stickler for form and have always tried to make the lecture content fit into an outline form. By this I mean that there should be at least two points for every heading or subheading to be considered good form for an outline. I have found Information just doesn't always fall in an outline form to be easily presented. I am anxious to rewrite some notes in the tree diagram form. I think it will provide the flexibility I was never able to find in my… >>>

Learning students names

I really hate to admit that I have trouble with names, but I found that honesty is the best policy…. The first few days of class I bring self-sticking nametags and a sharpie pen so the students can write their names on them. I tell them upfront that I really have to work at learning everyone's name and that is why we wear the nametags the first two or three days. At first I thought they would absolutely hate it, but they didn't. They actually seem to welcome that an effort was genuinely being made to learn their names and… >>>

ideas of how students will be using skills that they will be developing

Does anyone have any specific suggestions on this topic as to what has worked in this area. I like this idea from Module 3 but do need some specific examples? Thanks, Jodell Raymond

ideas of how students will be using skills that they will be developing

Does anyone have any specific suggestions on this topic as to what has worked in this area. I like this idea from Module 3 but do need some specific examples? Thanks, Jodell Raymond

Delivering with real world experience

Even though I'm new at the teaching experience and still trying to find the best way to relate the information to them, nothing takes the place of having real world experience in your field. It's only my second semester as a teacher but I bring in over 25 years of experience and knowledge in my chosen field. A lot of times students can relate more with real life scenarios than just examples in the text books. This also tends to motivate their curiousity about learning more about the subjest.

Day One

I've just start my second semester teaching the same course. This time around I got there in plenty of time to get everything setup and ready to greet the class. this included arranging the desk so that I could see everyone, hooking up projector for powerpoint presentation and getting all of the other supplies organized for my class. I even had all of my students wear name tags for the first day and was amazed that I remembered all of there names after day one. The start of this semester was definitely alot easier than the first one.

Keeping students interested

One of the things that I have found is that you have to keep bouncing around with your delivery. The first time that I taught I used pretty much just a powerpoint presentation. It was hard to keep the students interested or motivated. Now I've just started another semester and I've still use the powerpoint but now I also add in alot more demos, drawing things out and getting the students more involved with projects instead of just trying to keep them awake. This is definitely getting better feedback from the students overall.

Teacher's initial, and subsequent presentation/style..

One thing I find challenging is where to draw the line between being friendly/entertaining, while of course being informative, and being a bit more hard-nosed. Some of my students seem to be on the verge of un-interested in being there, and I fear that any forceful presentation may scare them off. Some of them need this forceful presentation, because they're "slacking off".... Any ideas on how to strike this balance?

Finding appropriate listening sources for my music class...

My class involves music theory and production techniques. I am 41 years old, yet my students are around 20-25 years old. Part of the course involves listening to music examples to ear train. I am pretty "out-of-touch" with much of today's music, and am heavily biased towards classical/jazz, and pop from the '70s through the mid '90s. I believe much of the current music scene is garbage, and offers little in content valuable to my class. How do I capture the imagination and interest of my students using music they may not know and appreciate?

How to keep growing as an instructor, despite having to constantly simplify course content?

My desire is to grow personally/professionally as an instructor, but I find it difficult when teaching new, neophyte students. I would like to introduce advanced concepts/techniques, but I spend most of my time delivering a simplified course content. Any ideas on how to push the students, and myself at the same time?

What ratio is best, in terms of instructor demonstration/student lab participation?

I find it challenging to determine the best split between demonstrating/discussing subjects, versus letting students jump into "uncharted waters" in their lab time. My class deals with music theory/production, and most of my students are are "square one", with little or no prior experience. Any ideas?

Picking the brains

I find it very powerful to ask the students to solve potential problems as opposed to give a boring lecture...comments?

how should you present yourself?

Is it better to start with the students introducing themselves to the class , or yourself first?

lecture or demos?

how long are your students REALLY paying attention during a lecture? also , would somebody consider using instructional DVDs?

how to motivate students

some students seems to be taking classes without any motivation at all.they are there just so they have something to do. how to deal with those students?

Motivating the young

One thing that I was surprised with my first attempt as an instructor was how unmotivated most of my young students (18-24 years old) were. Assuming that they would be very motivated after having paid a lot of money for the course was the wrong assumption. The field that they are trying to get into involves a lot of physical labor along with generally alot of long days. Everytime we would try to get into any physicl labor it was a chore just getting people to join in on the project. I'm also a parent of two boys and have… >>>

Leader

Greetings, Perhaps I can get some help here. I have no problems establishing myself as "leader" in the classes but I always end up struggling with this later in the semester. This has been true _every_ semester I've taught for six years. It seems I must do something drastic to re-establish the "leader" role. Any ideas? Thanks!

Learning Styles

Practical examples sometimes spring up a perfect times. I just posted two blank messages after entering the subject "Learning Styles" and hitting the enter key on my keyboard. Through the process of learning by trial and error, I was reminded that I needed to hit the tab key. I promise I'm not making this up:) Okay, so now onto my post about learning styles. Firstly, I read a couple of other posts in this modulee forum indicating that Module 4 contained the most useful information of the course; I agree. Not so much in terms of "new" information, but in… >>>

Learning Styles