Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Critical Thinking in the Classroom and Life

I have just begun implementing a simple version of critical thinking into my curriculum. I use the critiques of assigned design projects to try and get students, (and myself), to approach a viewpoint by looking through a different window of analysis. The window may be one of economics, or it may be the window of manufacturing processes or politics etc. It may also be the window of the end user. Most of what I use is based on Bloom's Taxonomy.
Bloom and his colleagues (1956) produced one of the most often cited documents in establishing educational outcomes: The Taxonomy of the Cognitive Domain. They proposed that knowing is actually composed of six successive levels arranged in a hierarchy: Knowledge, Comprehension, Application, Analysis, Synthesis, Evaluation. Research over the past 40 years has generally confirmed that the first four levels are indeed a true hierarchy. That is, knowing at the knowledge level is easier than, the level of comprehension and so forth up to the level of analysis. However, research is mixed on the relationship of synthesis and evaluation; it is possible that these two are reversed or they could be two separate, though equally difficult, activities (Seddon, 1978).
I find many of my students come with preconceived notions or "correct thoughts" about many things and do not have any reasoning behind what they say except possibly their own limited life experience and scope.
Any thoughts,imput or experience you have had in this regard would be appreciated.
Take care,

Andrew LeRoy

Hi Andrew,
Good forum comments about Bloom's Taxonomy. The questions about synthesis and evaluation is a good one. I find my students most challenged by the synthesis aspect of their training. They are uncertain when asked to make a decision on their own, even though they have the knowledge and skills. They are uncertain if they can bring it all together to solve the problem or fix the machine. After laying the foundation of content I use problem solving and case studies to try and get the student sure about their synthesis skills. I want them to be able to bring it all together when it really counts. The evaluation part occurs when the results are viewed.
When one of my students is fixed up his/her "correct" notion about a how something should be done I will try and "coach" them through the synthesis stage. If that doesn't work I sometimes let them work through their own method until they "crash" and then I help them to reconstruct the process through which they can arrive at the correct result. (Keep in mind I make sure that all safety and professional safeguards are in place before I let them work on their own solution) I never want students to be at risk in the learning process.
Gary

As a Medical Reimbursement and CPT Coding instructor, I am always emphasising to my students the importance of critical thinking and using logic in order to resolove problems and obtain answers to various medical case studies. In my opinion, I firmly believe that critical thinking skills should be developed from as early as elementary schools throughout highschool, and pershaps, the first 2 years of College/University. The abilty to think critically and use logic, is not only a requirement for the classroom, but also for life.

As educators, do you think that our educational institutions( elementary,and higher institutions) are preparing students to think critically?

Hi Reva,
Critical thinking is a must if one is going to be successful and progress in a career. I think is is an area that really needs our attention in terms of developing this ability from the elementary grades on up. One definition of learning is "trying to take a drink out of a fire hose". With this definition in mind individuals have to develop the ability to think critically in order to know just how much and how often to take a drink that will benefit them. Meaning there is so much information out there and so much is required of learners they need to be able to sort through the information and collect that which is most beneficial to them.
Gary

Sign In to comment