Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Alternate Points of View

I am about to have my students start asking questions of each other that come from differing perspectives. During critiques of their projects I will have groups of 4 or 5 students ask questions from a political perspective, another group ask questions from an economic perspective, and another ask questions from a manufacturing perspective etc...
Although we are primarily dealing with product design I think it will give the students pause to think on a broader basis about what they do.

I will let you know if it works or not.

Andrew LeRoy

That sounds like an excellent idea! Our faculty also develop simulations where the class can be divided into teams that have to take a product from development through to the point of sale including simulations of getting permits, pricing, packaging, marketing etc. You can even make this into a competition.

Hi ANdrew:

I will be highly interested in finding out if your questioning technique worked well or not since the approach to teaching we use in our institution is the constructuvism. This is a perfect example of how contructivism works and it will be a perfect example to use with my faculty at one of our staff meetings.

I really like this approach. It helps students observe things from other perspectives, and seeing things outside the box, so to speak. Anxious to see how it worked for you.

We've grouped students of similar thoughts and conducted debates. These are automotive students debating their point regarding a product or process, and turns into high energy questioning. the preperation also reiinforces the learning.

This probably is also a graet exercise in leadership for your students. Great idea!

Sign In to comment