Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

be prepared

One should always be prepared before standing and lecturing adults. You can bluff for 20 min. but then they will see the light!!!

I alway come prepared.

Hi Faith,
Well said. If you have run your bluff out I would think that you would feel like you are in a giant sink hole with no way out. What a tough place to be in. As you said it is much easier to be prepared and you don't then have to worry about what you are going to do next.
Gary

We get students with may skill sets and most of the time we have students with many years of experience in the field, they will be able to tell right away. Being prepared is the best way to delivering the materiel in a clear and concise manner.

I have to agree that being prepared is an essential element. These students are paying good money to have someone who is not only knowledgable but totally prepared.

Hi Denise,
Isn't it amazing that "being prepared" is even discussed as being a part of professional development? Yet, it is necessary as many instructors don't seen to get it when it comes to being ready to teach that class each and every time the class meets. It is some much easier to put the effort into planning and not have to scramble at the last minute.
Gary

I've found that adjunct instructors aren't as prepared as my full-time instructors even though they get a 15% prep fee added to their pay. How does one instill in them the importance of being prepared? Most of them have a primary job and teaching is secondary.

HI Louise,
This is a common problem nationwide with not only career colleges but public and privates as well.
One thing that has worked well for us is to have an orientation program and then have the adjunct instructors work through several professional development courses. These requirements are made a part of their job. Also, the college has to impress on the adjuncts that they are not just filling a space and earning extra money, they are a part of the faculty when they are on campus.
We have set up evaluation systems for these faculty so they know if they are hitting certain marks along the way in terms of preparation and presentation.
The key is get them to see they are part of the team, just not a "space heater" for that period of time.
Gary

I now understand how important it is to be prepared.

I dont believe we should ever bluff, it can come back to haunt you and when it does it will be huge.The students will remmember you anb the fact that you were unable to admit you did not know something.Some times it is ok to say i dont know let me find out.

being a fact instructor you must be ready

Sign In to comment