Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Always to help students

The main goal in teaching is to help the students and what better way than to be their model, manager, and motivator? Students do look at their teachers as role models and who better than us teachers to show them what people in the real world are like? It's good for us to always keep ourselves in check to be a good example.

I agree.

The ways I manage my classes are models to them. How I start my class on time, manages the class room during the lecture and questions and answers session. They also look up from my preparing for the session to build on their behaviors for preparing the class. The students also need to motivate why the information from the course content has been selected to share with students.And I am totally argee with you.

I agree, the ways that instructor show up himself, prepare and delivery the class are models to them.

I find that a difficult line presents of help vs. handicap. In the past I have had a few students who seem unable to move forward on any assignment without hand fed guidance. In this instance I try to employ the theory of "find 3 and then seek me," which I learned in attending one of my continuing ed classes. This theory is particularly helpful during final semesters in getting students prepared to develop independence for their future job success.

Hi Cheryl,
You present a good strategy. The method you are using has the students looking for information that is relevant to what they will need after they complete your course.
All instructors should be on the lookout for quick and easy instructional supports that will keep students moving toward their career goal.
Gary

In situations like you mention Cheryl I have also noticed times when we spend more time and resources helping the few and not allowing the time to push or improve the learnings of the majority to higher achievement. I believe it is a careful balancing act we must commit to. You neither want to leave anyone behind or allow the higher achievers to stagnate and not fulfill their highest capabilities.

Steve, I agree with you a 1000%. I am guilty of doing that over and over again and being stressed at the end when I realize how much portion has to be covered in the remaining class period. It is a challenge keeping a balance between helping a handful and keeping the rest and the high achievers interested and challenged enough. Either way you are eventually accused of teaching to one group or the other.

Exactly. This is what I mean by being a life coach. Showing them the successes you have had in juggling things can help them to see that they can succeed as well. Sharing small stories about what you learned throughout life may help them.

Sign In to comment