Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How should I use the text book

I teach computer repair in my classroom. I usually do 30% theorical and 70% practical but this method doesn't work for all. Some students need more hands on than others. The problem is that some are very curious and want to know more but they don't like to read even though our text book it's very interesting. I am not limited in this subject but it takes a lot my time to explain them. I would like to get suggestion from any person that knows how deal with it. I will appreciate your suggestion.

Hi Daniel,
In cases like this I use study guides/worksheets. I have the students that want to do some work on their own complete the activities listed on the worksheets. This way I have time to work with the other students that need more of my attention. I also use those students that understand the concepts being worked on to help other students solve the problems related to our work. I use a lot of student group work to help balance the learning opportunities for all.
Gary

In use of the text with the limited learning ability of most students, I find it deemed to break it more into do more hands on, and go over reading by you explaining text by going through with students, and have them ask questions if there is anything not understood.

I, too, teach A+ certification. You'll probably agree that the course has two main goals: giving the students a knowledge base that will allow them to pass the certification tests; and giving them the practical knowledge they need to obtain an entry-level position in the IT field. That being said, I wish I could spend 70% on the "practical" - it's more like 30%, or the opposite of your method.
My point is, I have developed what seems like a comfortable balance. First, I lecture from the text for about 50% of the "theoretical" class time. (This is my main use of the text.) Then I give one or more pratical examples that back up the lecture. This usually opens a discussion about the example, which allows students to expand ideas or theories about the topic. I then follow with a lab (or labs) that also back up the topic and/or the example.
I have found that, after teaching this way for about the last five classes, almost all the students benefit from this method. The more curious will feel satisfied, and the less curious will get theoretical AND practical knowledge that they otherwise wouldn't.

Hi Martin,
What subject matter experts (SMIs) have to find is the balance they need to become instructional delivery experts (IDEs). There is no hard and fast rule of theory vs application. From you comments it sounds like you have found a balance that works for you. The guidelines are only meant as suggestions. Be creative and develop what works for you, that is the fun part about teaching.
Keep up the good work.
Gary

Reading comprehension occurs differently for all individuals. I think it is important to point out what areas of the textbook are most important, and to then encourage students to read this material on their own time. I find it is easier for a student to grasp the material if it can happen at his/her own pace.

Hi Paul,
Good approach. If you can help students to bear down on the key parts of their texts and get the knowledge base they must have then they will be able to progress.
Another thing you migth want to use is guided notes. I develop notes over the text and lecture and then the students follow along and complete the outline, giving them a complete set of notes. This greatly reduces their fear of not being able to get down all that is covered in the lecture or to pull the "key" points out of the text. Really helps with comprehension and retention.
Gary

I try to go through my powerpoint and/or the student workbook and associate key points with the pages that apply in the text. A lot of my students appreciate this since they work and come to school leaving them limited time to do detailed studying.

Sign In to comment