Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

confidence

What is the best way to develop my skills in this area.

thank you

Hi David,
One of the biggest ways is through success. Plan student activities that will give them success. Their success will feed into your own success and your confidence will grow. Try different instructional approaches. This will help with confidence as you see how well they work. Experience is a great way to develop confidence. Once you have taught a unit and had the students do the activities you know what to expect the next time. When the next time comes you will walk into the learning setting know what to expect, and the outcomes from your teaching. This will be a great confidence booster.
Gary

I concur that small successes are great confidence builders for students, and instructors alike. Walking through the course with volunteers before doing it in front of a class can also build instructor confidence.

Bill Adriance

Hi Bill,
Well said. This way a new instructor can avoid some of the common mistakes that seem to pop up. Also, by talking through instructional ideas with experienced teachers one can get an idea if what is being planned is on target or not.
Gary

I have to keep building my confidence up with each class. Computer technology is changing as soon as you buy a computer you have an upgrade before you get it set up. I find that alot of students know more then I do about computers and I am learning alot from them. However the students do not have the experience in the industry that I have. So I am becoming more confident in the fact that I do not need to know everything but I do have to have an open attitude to continue to learn and broaden my knowledge everyday.

Hi Denise,
You are going to make a great teacher. You have identified the fact that you have knowledge and experience that your students need to have. You have to find your niche in the educational delivery system and you are on your way in doing this. Keep it up and I know your confidence will keep growing.
Gary

Gary,
Is it okay to admit to the student you don't know? How can you keep the student's confidence in your ability to teach them?
Denise

Hi Denise,
Yes, it is ok to admit that you don't know something about a topic or issue. This lets the students know you are human. By admitting it up front and pledging that you will get the answer for them you will keep the confidence of the students. The key is having the students know that you will find out for them. They will respect the fact that you will work at digging out the information. Just make sure you follow up with what ever it is that was discussed so the students will get closure on the topic.
Gary

Gary,

Thank you for your advice to Denise, because not only has it helped her, but it has been very beneficial to me as well.

Victoria

Hi Victoria,
Thank you for those kind words. Glad the advice was of help.
Gary

praise loudly, blame softly - Catherine the Great

Hi Jennifer,
Well said. I imagine that it is used often in your classes.
Gary

I have found most of the time when I don't know something, it is because I was unprepared.

Gary,
I do tell my class when I don't know something. That way, I can find out the information right there in the class. That way we all learn something.
JoAnn

As a new instuctor i feel it is very important to show confidence, but not to come off arogant to the students so that they do not see me as arogant.

that's good advice ,I will try that in class.

Hello Mr. Lawrence,
When I taught my first class, I was not very confident at all. I was almost afraid to get up in fron of 30 students and teach. I have had a few bits of success here and there, however; the one thing I have been taught over and over again by my students is: I have to OWN my classroom. That is my subject material, this is my school, and those are my students. Taking ownership of my classroom and course material has brought me a long way, and helped me gain a lot of confidence in the classroom.

Sign In to comment