Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Professionalism

As a CAD Instructor at ITT Technical Institute I have found that exhibiting a professional outlook has been most successful. By maintaining the proper appearance and using appropriate language as well as requiring students to do the same it has made a trendous difference in the behavior and expectations of the student.

Lap Tops in Class Rooms

I am interested in knowing how the instructors monitor the use of lap tops in the classroom and what are some of the rules and guidelines that they have successfully implemented?

;-) Demonstrations

It is very importsnt for instructors to give and explain demonstrations!!!

;-) handouts

Instructional handouts must be studied and memorized.

attention span

Somtimes I get so into my work I forget to give my students a break. Once I realize I've lost there focus I know it's time to let them break.

Dress for success

I believe that you never get a second chance to make a first impression. So I tell my students that every day they should look as if they were going to a paying job.

Planning your class

I try to always have something new and interesting for my class, I think it makes the students realize that you care and that you are completely prepared to teach that particular class.

being professional

I think that being professional with students is very important. There are just certain lines that should not be crossed. You must give and demand a certain level of respect in order to keep the teacher student relationship professional.

grading tests

I love to review the day before a test with my students I feel it gives them encouagement to go home and study a little more. As soon as they are done with the test we grade them as a group and I discuss whatever they got wrong so they can learn from it

more important than technique

I try to teach my students that there attitude and personality is even more important than there techique. I treat each day in the class as if we were on a paying job. Attire, being over prepared,and ariving before time is on time. I think these skills are the most important in and out of the classroom.

group discussions

I try to engage all the students into group discussions, I find that it is helpful to everyone, especially the shy ones it make them feel more comfortable in their own skin to be able to adress a class.

Learning styles

Teaching a class should incorporate all learning styles, auditory, written, visual, and kinestheic. I don't think anyone is completly one type of learning style. Having different activities for the class such as, reading outloud, participation in class debates, and group demos, gives everyone a chance to learn and even come out of there shell a bit.

Combined Tests

I like to give tests that compile all of the different elements found in tests. For example, one section is multiple choice, one is true or false, etc. I find it easier to see which types of tests are less difficult for which students. Victoria

learning styles

Teaching the students to communicate effectively with others and peers is so important and vital these days. We have entered an new age of information technology, where being on a machine to communicate is overtaking our verbal skills. I feel working is groups is helpful ,but I would like to see more individual work in presenting and delivering content. Individual particpation in communication should play a stonger role in the curriculm.

testing assessments

I grade using practical assessments, before the class I give the students an outline of what the grading procedure consists of. So when they begin the practical assignment or test. They know exactly what I am looking for. When the practical is finished, they return the outline and I grade it, and return it the next day. The student can then read and see what they need to improve on.If they are weak in a certain area, they know what to work on.

How do we control cheating while keeping the cohort group?

I have international students that flock together in a group. They share notes and are caught talking during a test. When questioned about this talking, the reply is that the question makes no sense because of the language barrier and that the question is being explained in the native tongue. I have gone so far as to seperate the group, which was recieved in a negative manner and reported to the office for being prejudice against the group of students. I have taken students aside and explained that clarification of test questions is my responsibility and that talking during a… >>>

READY, SET,......OH NO!

SOMETIMES ALL THE PLANNING IN THE WORLD WON'T PREPARE YOU FOR SOME OF LIFES CURVE BALLS. HAVING THE ABILITY TO THINK ON ONE'S FEET CAN DETERMINE THE SUCCESS OR FAILURE OF ANY LESSON PLAN. IN OUR EVER CHANGING AND DYNAMIC WORLD, WE MUST HAVE THE ABILITIES TO ADAPT FOR MOST ANY SITUATION. SUCH AS; CULTURAL DIFFERENCES, PHYSICAL CHALLENGES, AND EVEN RELIGIOUS BELIEFS THAT OUR STUDENTS MAY BRING WITH THEM.

Short Attention Span Theatre

A few years ago, Comedy Central had a show called "Short Attention Span Theatre" which should have been a clue to me about what was coming ... That 15-18 minute attention span this module speaks of has shrunk, I'm afraid, to something closer to 8-10 minutes. My students have the added distraction of having large windows in the classrooms I customarily teach in, thus I have to compete with traffic, other students, passers-by ... So I have to be extra-entertaining to keep them focused. I use group projects a lot to combat that short attention span problem ... Anyone have… >>>

Time Well Spent

In a 10-week cycle at our school, we will have, usually, 19 two-hour class meetings. Each cycle there are two holidays; one will fall on a Monday (or Wednesday, as in Thanksgiving eve)and the other will fall on a Thursday (or Tuesday, to allow for a long weekend. Thus the 19 meetings. I say all that to say this: It seems to me a small investment of your class time to spend one full class period covering syllabus, textbook and class requirements, and getting to know each other. Some of my colleagues try to limit the getting-to-know-you portion of the… >>>

Delivery Options

I teach computer based applications and use all the styles discussed. Therefore my students get hands on experience with the specific application I am teaching.