Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Teaching by Example

The best way to teach students especially in the technical field is by example. Understanding the needs and the skill sets of the students is critical to their success and that determines your success.

Does anybody want to contribute to this?

Hi Sunil,
Skill development is essential for career students. Your role as the instructor is to help the blend theory, content and competence into a skill set that enables them to be successful in their field. The challenge and fun part of teaching is creating the opportunities for the students to all three of the above.
Gary

I do agree with the statement above.

Hi Sunil,

I agree completely with your statement. In my three years as an instructor at a post-secondary career college, I have used my years of experience as an accountant to give my students real world examples of what they will encounter upon graduation. I think, as an instructor, that is the most crucial difference I can make for my students is to give them a realistic expectations and good knowledge base of their profession.

It has been my experience in a technical field that using practical applications is very effective and it draws the students attention to what they are being taught.

Hi Richard,
Well said. You are getting the students engaged in the learning process totally. They get to see application of the knowledge and skills they are acquiring.
Gary

I agree 100%. I feel that the students learn more by the way that you do the job that you are teachiing them to do.

Hi Nolan,
"Hands on" is where much education occurs. It helps transfer theory to application and that is the key to skill development.
Gary

Teaching by example is a good way to demonstrate the skills they will need in there new vocation.

Hi Sunil,
I agree with you, in today's world where a lot of information is being thrown at us, we get lost and lose direction. If you can teach by example both in professionalism and technical that goes a long way in teaching someone and they get a clearer picture of what is expected.

Hello Kumar

Technical subjects makes easy by real examples like how to measures B.P. We have to teach it step by step and practically do it infront of the class.

Hello Sunil,

I believe that "teaching by example" is one of the most important learning tools that an instructor at a technical school could demonstrate. First, this assures the students that they are being taught by a competent instructor. Second, this will allow student to view a professional in his or hers environment. Finally, the students are encouraged to participate in a very productive manner (usually hands-on). In the video production field, this is the only way to properly teach the future men and women of this field.

I believe that it is extremely important to model the behavior that you expect the students to have. There are times when students want to gravitate towards excuses for not doing what is required of them. I often let them know that everyone has a "full plate." I demonstrate the importance of time management. I let them know that anything worth having is going to take hard work. I show up sick, exhausted but with a smile and ready to work.

Sign In to comment