Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

ice breaker

Start each class with an ice breaker. A riddle to get the brains movingand have the students over come their first day fears

Ice breakers are a great way to start a class. Students don't even realize they're learning something. I like to use current events, something they had to read, listen or watch the night before or the prior to coming to class so they can answer.

Hi Faith,
Isn't amazing how just a little activity like an ice breaker can help some many students to settle in and get off to a good start in class?
What kind of ice breakers do you use? What are some of the successes you have had with using these ice breakers?
Gary

Any means of lightening the tension and making the class feel at ease, especially on the first day is propbably very helpful as long as it doesn't dominate the time or put anyone in further uneasiness. If the "ice breaker" could rub anyone the wrong or possibly offend, then one want to reconsider their approach.

For my ice breaker in my class. I number them off from 1 and 2. And then I ask them to interview their classmate and ask them 3 specific questions about why they are in the class, what are going to doing in 3-5 years, and if they had a choice of what person they would like to do work on, who would it be( I Am in the beauty business).And why did they chose this type of business, this also prepares them for job interview questions. Why would I hire them!!! I ask! Victoria Holbus

Hi Victoria,
Thanks for the great ideas about starting a class. Getting students comfortable with you and each other goes a long way in establishing a climate for learning.
Gary

I alway start with myself. I will tell them my name and what my goal for the class is. Then I will ask them the same. Where are you from, and what is your goal for the class? The last day of class I will talk to the students about the goal. If they reach it, I will ask them how they did it. If they did not reach it, I will ask what went wrong, and how will they avoid it and the future.

I alway start with myself. I will tell them my name and what my goal for the class is. Then I will ask them the same. Where are you from, and what is your goal for the class? The last day of class I will talk to the students about the goal. If they reach it, I will ask them how they did it. If they did not reach it, I will ask what went wrong, and how will they avoid it and the future.

Hi Jeffery,
Good way to start a class. This way you know their expectations and can plan ways of helping them to achieve them.
Gary

Great idea!

Ice breakers are wonderful! I have used them in almost every class I have taught. At first the students grumble and complain but if you pick the right exercise, they really get into it and have a good time. Depending on the exercise, they get up out of their seats, interact and have some laughs. I have a book that lists over a 100 different exercises and it's always on my desk!

Hi Kally,
Your ice breaker book sounds like a great resource and that you use it frequently.
Gary

I also like doing the Confusious Thought of the day and things to ponder on the Google home page. It gives the students a chance to settle in and remember that I am not the boogy man!
CHris

I ran into an instructor that teaches photoshop software. His ice breaker was so cool! He takes digital photos of his students and then does the "What if you 2 had a baby?" like in Conan O'Brian and Jay Leno. He says by the end of the first class there is a possiblity that one stundent might have had an accident.

Chris

Hi Chris,
This setting of the "stage" for the day allows students to get settled in for the learning phase of the class. They can pause, catch their breaths' and then move to the next part of the good class. Good strategy.
Gary

I agree
A few years back I used a "feel good" quiz when class begins. It gets their brains going, creates conversation, and makes students feel good with a good quiz grade. They don't realize that they are learning at the same time but it works.

I like this idea. Do you use a question that is relative to the course, or just something that's a general brain teaser?

Hi Brad,
I use both in my classes. Generally a broad brain teaser that gets the students engaged and thinking and then I give them one specific to the course content.
The first one gives them a chance to use their general knowledge and then they can focus on their newly acquired knowledge to answer the second one.
Gary

Students will resent a seating plan where the teacher assigns their seat. I found it interesting to come into a new class and not provide them with any structure after about 10 minutes of shuffling around the class gradually looks to me for structure.. They sat wherever they felt like it and looked to me to guide them and move forward.

I find that an ice-breaker that relates to course content helps me gauge both students' aptitudes and which students are most comfortable participating in class.

Sign In to comment