Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Active learning is commonly considered as a better way of teaching and learning encourages people to understand information within its context. Sometimes memorization is necessary even though its time consuming it is important to engage and motivate the student to prevent boredom. For example, the students may be asked to complete a project and the purpose of this method is that students benefit from learning how to work together instead of on an individual basis. Instructors’ must have a positive attitude because it will effectively help the students in their learning process.

Limitations and misconceptions come from various avenues. One being how students are taught throughout their k-12 learning lifespan. They are use to being told what to do, and no critical thinking on their behalf occuts when participating in online courses. Also, for in classroom instructors that are new to online teaching and active learning, they feel the teaching is not as effective.

Online teaching is stigmatized, by both students and other instructors. Even if students do remain engaged, they often want information and answers relayed to them in a traditional lecture syle approach. Instructors from a traditional lecture style background may be resistant to embrace active online learning techniques. It is important, when usuing active learning in online courses, to explain the importance of arriving at answers and working through problems yourself, not simply relying on the instructor to tell you whether you are corrrect or not.

I learned that: Active learning techniques can be readily used in the online learning environment,

but they usually take additional time, planning and effort on the part of the instructor.

I think my biggest take-away is "pre-teaching" students their role in online learning. We often get complaints from students that they are "teaching themselves" in an online course when actually the instructor is fostering active learning techniques that the students are not familiar with.  I agree with the idea of making sure the instructor clearly explains how the course is facilitated and that they will not be in a passive learning environment, but an active one.

Active learning for online students takes more time and effort on the side of the instructor. No longer is it available to just be reading "scripts" but must now think of new and insightful ways to engage the student into the learing system.

Active learning courses are for motivated and engaged students and guided by the instructor.

I learned that the active learning techniques in the online classroom are very important to the teaching. 

Always have a "Plan B". 

We have beeb in transition to a hybrid learning since the start of covid and its been both fun and challenging. I still have mixed feelings about it because I do miss lectures which were more like conversations with my class. I never really just lectured and made them listen, it was more like a guded conversation so I guess active learning has always been a part of what I do. It does involve a lot more lab activities today and students seem to enjoy it.

Visual learning tools such as labeling, graphs, and chart organization help students grasp concepts that can be difficult to understand in the written form.

The success with active learning has a lot to do with the resources provided by the institution to ensure technology supports the activities. Issues with technology (which I am sure most have expereinced) can be frustrating for students and embarrassing for faculty. 

It was an interesting read, especially addressing the concerns and doubts concerning active learning techniques and practices.

Active learning gets the students involed and increases retention of information.

This section provides realistic obstacles and challenges related to active learning. Definitely, there are stigmas and biases among educators, for sure there are students who are less than motivated and would prefer an easy course, even if there is no learning involved, and obviously, technology can create multiple challenges, especially if an institution lacks resources for a quality LMS. That said, beyond the barriers, there is an opportunity to create engagement and better learning.

In this module I learned the different challenges that you can encounter when implementing Active Learning.  The challenges can be with the students, instructors, the institution, or technology.  It is important to communicate the significance of Active Learning to the students so that they can understand the benefits in their learning process which includes critical thinking.  As instructors we need to change the traditional way of teaching (lecture) and implement innovative methods.  We also need the support of the institutions we work for and to be able to troubleshoot any technology issues we or the students may encounter.      

I believe that institutions can be stuck in the middle of achieving and maintaing their credentials/certifications while incorporating new techniques.  Technology is a big limitation as well.  I've had students try to take more course primarily on a tablet or mobile phone and it just doesn't work.  School libraries are shut down due to COVID.  I've had others in Africa going to internet cafes with lousy connections.  It all deters from the best of intentions.

Understanding the technology you're using and making sure it's running effctively. Even in my own experience I'm very knowledgable with the programs we use however if it's not working probably it can cause a fuss. 

Even though online learning has its perks in the sense of it being feasible to individuals with their working schedules, it poses risks. Might cause students to not be actively engaged in comparison to being in person. But also, their are students who are not tech savy and might have issues navigating and also internet connection and speed is something of concern.

The information in this section somewhat mimics the techniques we use in my organization. I have found most of these techniques are very effective expecially video feedback and visual communication. 

Sign In to comment