Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Active learning takes more time to implement and evaluate..it requires top-tier tech support, and commitment by the students and instructor to trust the process and watch it transform the classroom.

Students need to self reflect and it is important for instructors to encourage students to engage in course content. 

Instructor should also make a video at the start of course letting students know and understanding the expectations. Some students believe online is an easier alternative to face to face.

I was happy to see the bit about creating a video to introduce the expectations of students in an active learning activity. I will need to implement that, so I will be reviewing those parts of this course that give suggestions to set students up for success in active learning activities.

Instructors should effectively communicate the expectations of active learning to prepare their students for the workload. According to the text, some students do not initially see the value of active learning and are expecting a more transactional lecture-based learning environment. 

On the first day of my class, I like to discuss all of the projects that we will complete by the end of the class. This provides me with the opportunity to discuss why we're completing the projects. My game audio course is intended to give the student the starting pieces of their own digital portfolio that they would one day show potential employers. By explaining that a portfolio is something that everyone in the industry maintains when looking for jobs, they can understand that if they put in the effort they will learn the skills they need for the job and leave with content that they can add to their own professional portfolio. I believe this effectively reduces their possible negative perception of the teaching style. 

Loved reading that by incorporating active learning techniques that it can offer students additional opportunities to build and test their knowledge.

Keep updated on technology and access for students. Be creative in providing activities.

I have learned that lecture in short 15 minute intervals is pretty effective and then allowing them to apply what was just went over.

Being able to transition and have a back up plan is important. To always be ready for error. 

In this module, I learned the importance of promoting an active learning environment for my students. They need to understand that the learning method might be different what they are used to, but the end result is going to be the same. It is important for the instructor to be motivated so that the motivation carries over to the students and the learning goals are successfully met.

I have learned about the misconceptions that many students have about online courses. Many students think nine courses are “easy As” and they should just be given a grade (the “retail model”). I plan to review my role and the students role on the first day of class in order to dispel any myths and avoid misunderstandings throughout the course. 

Hello everyone;

Active learning in an online environment faces several limitations, such as limited social interaction, technology barriers, distractions, instructor limitations, and time constraints. These challenges can hinder students' ability to fully engage in group activities or discussions, access learning materials, and maintain focus. In addition, there are common misconceptions about online active learning, including the belief that it is not possible or effective in an online setting, or that it is only suitable for specific subjects. However, research has shown that well-implemented online active learning can be just as effective as traditional methods, and it can be applied to any subject. To overcome these limitations and misconceptions, educators must explore creative strategies and tools for facilitating active engagement and collaboration among students in an online learning environment.

Best Regards,

Dr. A

Modification of Traditional Classroom Activities

Hi everyone;

Modifying traditional classroom activities can create a more engaging and effective learning environment, catering to the diverse needs and learning styles of students. One approach is the flipped classroom model, where students access instructional content at home and use class time for active learning through discussions and group work. Collaborative learning can be promoted by assigning projects that require teamwork, fostering communication and problem-solving skills. Gamification, or integrating game-based elements like points and badges, can make learning more fun and interactive.

Incorporating real-world projects through project-based learning helps students apply knowledge in practical situations, while differentiated instruction customizes teaching strategies to accommodate students' varied needs. Technology, such as interactive whiteboards and online forums, can be used to support dynamic and accessible learning. Inquiry-based learning encourages students to explore topics through research and problem-solving, promoting critical thinking and self-direction. Blended learning combines traditional instruction with online components, offering flexibility and personalization. Lastly, learning stations can be set up around the classroom, focusing on different topics or skills, allowing students to rotate and work independently or in groups.

Best Regards,

Dr. Abreu

Technology is a great way for everyone to learn. However, ensuring a back up plan is in place is a good idea. Been there, made that mistake. Gulp

I found it interesting that typically active learning techniques are missing from K-12th grade and then shocks students in their undergraduate years. It was the opposite when I was a student. Highschool was the first time we did not have annual standardized tests (as the common core exams were being implemented), and that is really where a lot of active learning methods were used, not just low-risk ones either. Most of my undergraduate classes had very little active learning methods, and most were low-risk. If standardized tests don't change, then wouldn't it force instructors and students to favor the methods that prepare them for the exams. If the tests are set in a way to demonstrate a full grasp of the topic, then active learning would become more favorable to incorporate.

Strong instructor presence has been shown to increase student engagement and academic achievement by helping students feel as though they are part of a learning community with shared goals and values.

It is important to communicate with your students about the types of learning you will be doing in class and what it purposes are. Some of these activities may take longer or shorter than expected and they should be prepared for that. 

Students may become frustrated at times with an active learning model.  Instructors need to recognize that all learning produces a certain amount of frustration from students.  Learning is difficult at times and students becoming frustrated is a natural part of the process. 

I teach classes that heavily involve technology, from the in-class activities to the assignments at home. Technology failing has been the biggest hindrance as students are using a variety of devices to access course materials.

It's important to communicate with the students about what will occur during the active learning class. Breaking up lectures with activities keeps students engaged.

I have experienced every one of the limitations and misconceptions on my part and especially on the part of students - students who want an easy A and just want you to tell them what's on the exam.  As a nursing instructor that has been very frustrating to me, and I was so happy to read that it isn't just me.  It's true that students probably will have to change the way they learn when they engage in active learning.  Memorization isn't going to be enough in a professional program, although it was in high school, and probably even in some lower level college courses.

Sign In to comment