Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I like the idea of incorporating assignments involviong using video segments avout specific course content, and found it constructive to know that these videos should be approximately 15 minutes.

I have been teaching online for a few years. My biggest frustration is students not realizing that they need to take at least some ownership for their own learning. For some students, this is a challenge. I work hard to help students understand this. It is also frustrating when the technology doesn't work, or when a student does not take time to understand the technology. I look forward to learning better ways to solve these problems. 

Online learners must take responsibility for their learning. 

I've learned more about the presupposition of students to consider online class to be a correspondent course. As an online instructor, I need to ensure that they have become active participants in their own learning, so that what they learn in my class can be applicable to their future careers.

Hello:

Some disadvantages or weaknesses of active learning strategies are: e Noisy environment in the classroom as a result of the activities caused by active learning can often disturb the learning environment. The concept of active learning is fun too, which can make students more inclined to play and forget the main task of learning.

Student and instructor attitudes play a significant role in the success of a course, which is as important as the dependability of technology. 

The major deterrent that can ruin the instructor's ability to incorporate active learning techniques in an online course is technology issues, as they can disrupt the flow of learning activities. To encourage active learning techniques in online instruction, institutions should have a three-fold plan, including instructor release time, financial incentives, and a community of scholars. Recognition and ongoing support for instructors using active learning techniques are essential, with opportunities for excellence in teaching awards and the inclusion of these practices in the instructor's professional development and promotion activities, highlighting the importance of active learning in the education profession.

I agree with many of the misconceptions and attitudes students have when taking an online class.  They simply want to be told what to do, and then do the work and pass the class.  Some of the online instructors also prefer that method.  Actively teaching in an online, asynchronous environment can be done but it takes more time and creativity.  Setting expectations in the beginning of the class is key to introducing the students to what is expected of them and that critical thinking skills will be developed through active teaching techniques.

Planning to apply the dissolution of the 50m lecture into 4 15m sessions 

Recognizing the impact of generational, economic, and technological barriers is crucial for creating an inclusive and effective learning environment. Instructors and institutions must be attuned to the diverse backgrounds and experiences of their student population. 

The student(s) must be adequately prepared to accept the information that is being imparted to them.

The challenges of today include, "keeping up with the Joneses" regarding the latest technological advancements and the acquisition of same.

As an adult educator, I have found that the introductory information that will eventually lead to the core curriculum can be somewhat less than acceptable and strains the patience of the adult learner, however, I also accept the responsibility of making the information not only palatable but acceptable and easier to comprehend which requires the patience of the adult learner.

I think I want to try to incorporate even more interaction outside of discussions and polls.

What I have learned from this topic is that many students expect to be fed the course's material. Many students are under the assumption that they will be fed the course's material. I intend to make that clear early in my course that this will not be the case. I will ensure that each student properly learns the material and is engaged in their course.

I have learned a lot more about the possible limitations and misconceptions associated with active learning, and some strategies that can be followed avoid them. I particularly appreciated the section on instructor limitations as it helped allay some of my concerns with switching to a wholly active learning model, but it was good see that limitations to transitioning to an active learning model can be institutional and technological and not placed entirely on the instructor. I think it will be a challenge to overcome some of the student complaints (I've heard those covered more than a few times) but this just inspires me to learn more about active learning and how to overcome such student concerns. More specific suggestions on how best to implement an active learning model will useful for designing my synchronous online class sessions and I may enroll in another course or seek information outside of this training. I will also seek out material on active learning more specific to my discipline as I move onto designing class sessions.   

I'm looking forward to continuing to delve more into this subject.

It is important to be ready for technological difficulties, and have a plan in place to properly utilize active learning in the online setting. 

teaching virtually always help students to be more comfortable at there own time and they way that they sit or lay down and watch the instructor preforming the class , also it gave the ability to move around and be relaxed the whole time of the class time.

I like the discussion about self actualization and self reflection. Something that I will continue to utilize in my courses. 

I like the idea of instructor as facilitator, and appreciated the emphasis on reliable technology in ensuring a course goes smoothly from start to finish. The responsibility of students to be proactive in their learning is also key, though I do see it as my task to find new ways to creatively inspire and motivate students to value what they are learning in the class.

I learned that sharing the active learning environment and expectations for the beginning is best I really liked this tip: "Therefore, it would be beneficial to all parties involved for the online instructor to make a short video presentation to clearly explain how active learning techniques will be used in the course and how intense the academic load may be for the student. By seeing specific examples, the online student can be better prepared from the outset to commit to the course load and activities."

Sign In to comment