Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

There are definitely misconceptions about how difficult it is to teach online content, and I do agree that often those instructors who teach online only do not get the same level of recognition from institutions as face-to-face instructors get.  I find it much more time-consuming to prepare for online instruction than it is for an in-person session.  Instructors who successfully convert their content into active online lessons need to be recognized, and it would be great if these instructors were asked to share their experiences with all faculty, as more and more of the student experience is moved online.

Limitations for active learning need to be revisited by accrediting agencies. Many schools would probably be open to adjusted hours or alternative educational assessments, but they are hampered by accreditation requirements. Also, educators already spend their own money to facilitate their classes, so it can be hard to utilize some engagement activities when the resources are not being provided.

Incorporating active learning activities into an online classroom can give the students the opportunity to build upon what they know.  As an instructor, I will try and incorporate active learning to support what they have learned online.  In addition, as an instructor, I must reiterate to the students the importance of being responsible and accountable for their own learning.

I enjoyed reading the section about "Self-actualization, based on Abraham Maslow’s hierarchy of needs,." This is defined as "'fulfilling one’s individual potential' or giving the “'individual a desire or motivation to achieve budding ambitions.'" In my classes, I want to help students reach their potential. When we explain why we use active-learning strategies and what is in it for the students, we will likely get buy-in and see successful outcomes. 

In this section I learned various active learning techniques for example, an instructor can make a short video as a case study for a particular problem or issue.

I agree that students need active learning to achieve learning. The difficulty is that many of today’s students are looking to “get the degree/diploma they paid for” while not necessarily wanting to learn all they can. Many are there for the minimum so they can have a degree, often not in what they want to do. Herein lies the difficulty with online activities. Students appreciate the easy access but want the easy”A”. So to bridge this gap, we really need to drill down the “what’s in it for me” for the student and the expectations. Use technology well and make sure students are held accountable to the expectations. Make students want to come to class!

Limitations and misconceptions seem to be the pillar of the educational community these days. My classes are on ground with an online component and keeping the student active is always a struggle for both portions. I have had students in class wanting me to lecture (talk at them) for hours but when you ask them questions they can't even tell me what I just said. My course is mostly critical thinking and when they sit for any quiz or exams the questions are not directly from the lecture but they have to critically think in order to answer. I am a content expert so story telling, case studies and games like jeopardy are a few things I do to keep them engaged. These strategies forces the student to be accountable in their learning process. I have also found that being direct and letting the students know what the expectations are for the course from the start I find keeps them on tract.

Will be able to apply knowledge learned in losing control when in fact students need to apply their knowledge as they participate in the classroom

There are many barriers to teaching with active learning strategies online, but as long as you are aware of them, they can be overcome.

A key takeaway is to inform students about active learning and how the students themselves will drive the learning. This establishes the groundwork for the constructivist methods and to prepare students for the need to participate in class. Also, communication is key for online instruction, so students are engaged. 

I have learned that online teaching can be challenging.  I need to find ways to keep the students engaged while teaching the materials.

My students are confused at first with active learning, as they expect the bulk of their education to happen in class or with the instructor. The down side I notice is that I often can't see what they're seeing, making it difficult to help them at times.

Comment on Lori Johnson's post:  What is your solution to this?

This module has brought on the realization that students may not understand the concept of active learning. It has made an excellent point that it is important to explain to students why we have chosen this teaching style. Critical thinking skills are so important and students cannot acquire those skills if information is just handed over to them.

when troubleshooting technical issues If there's not an Immediate resolve, we must resort to other techniques that are available. If you have ever been in this situation, you can feel the time and students attention slipping away from you. There is a very short window in which we have to regain control of the classroom and their attention.

Being online also allows students to do things they normally would NOT do in class. Regulations to fix this is a difficult road ahead but slowly the bad seeds will be dropping away from those who want to learn.

Anytime there is technology involved there is a risk of an issue- I've learned that a backup plan is necessary for unexpected issues. 

I see the F2F classroom physical set up as a barrier and am looking for ways to shoft the rooms desks/tables quickly as activties call for it.

Sign In to comment