Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Active learning can take place online and it will take longer time to plan.  Also, if you have students doing truly online active learning you must make sure you know that ALL students have the capabilities to do the instruction based on what you use for your classes. 

This segment of the course provided me with several important suggestions and I plan to implement them immediately.  They include providing students with an explanation of the expectations and demands of online courses, explanations of technology requirements, explanations of communication methods and requirements, and explanations of how to think critically.  Although they may seem self-explanatory, they really aren't and need to be explained.  That is now my plan and I will start working on it right away.

I agree with all the information this course providing. This is my second semester of teaching online. Technology is one of the big issues that I learned always to have plan B.

Having the right technolgy tools is essential for the sucess of the course, keeping the students engaged with different activities to help with their learning using the tools.

I believe this to be my best information. I will use the shorter lecture time to help them be more engaged. I think the information about 15 min. video and more communication really stands out for me. 

If my students are about to use multiple devices at all times they will not feel so frustrated at doing the work. 

Reply to JULIUS GRANATA's post:Unfortunatly schools want the students to use the online technologies but can not always provide the equipment......answering from experience

You need a back up plan for what is going to happen when the technology fails. The internet is not always available in every area.

Students who choose the online active learning must realize there is more to it than answering a disscusion question, doing the assignment and taking a test by a certain date. Many people who take online classes are in the mindset of this is how online classes are taught. The are not ready for active learning. 

Schools need to help in the technology area. They also need to be available in other areas where the student could need them. Just not available during traditional hours.

Back up plans are essential to online courses in case technology fails.

Gloria There are a  great deal of different fators that make the online experience. The institution, the facilitator and the student. I learned that using the same creativity we used in the class room setting can still be used in the online setting. The important thing is knowing when to use it and making sure you know how to use it.

Some limitations are that students want to be force fed the information and have an easy way to just 'answer questions". They are used to this model. I found this when presenting online learning for the first time. Students quickly went in and clicked answers to move on and get credit for the course but put forth very little effort.

Technology is great when it works, and effective communication is key especially in an online environment.  Always have a back up plan in case technology fails you.  Be sure to communicate  effectively and provide adequate feedback to students online.  It is important in any environment, but especially in the online environment.

Some of the limitations and misconceptions do not apply to my situation in that I am a secondary teacher and my students cannot simply withdraw from a class if they do not want to participate in a meaningful way. We also do not have an effective LMS established at this time so I am unsure as to how I will be able to effectively implement and facilitate active learning for my students. 

Students may feel like you're just trying to get them to do all of the work, and you as the educator aren't responsible for anything. Especially in the online learning environment, students need to feel a sense of work and effort put forth by the educator as well. 

Online instructors face challenges from all sides in developing online learning. Students often wish to put in the minimum effort to pass the class, hoping to click through screens, take an exam, and be done. Instructors must make clear at enrollment that active participation is required, and that critical thinking and higher levels of learning will be accessed as success criteria. Other instructors often perceive, or act as if they perceive, online instructors as less than F2F instructors and see online learning as a form of entertainment, pandering for higher enrollments. Institutions often do not know the value of active online learning, or realize that collaborative and problem-based learning may lead to greater learning success and (their highest priority) student retention. Finally, the availability of technology and support services for online learners and instructors can greatly influence the success of failure of an online program. The only real solution to these challenges is to develop and present a body of work. Online instructors and ISDs must incorporate active, collaborative, and problem-based courses that will eventually show their value through the greater success of students.

i learned my videotaped lessons are to long 

With online classes, students and instructors need to make sure they have strong internet connectivity.  It is frustrating if an instructor does not have a strong connection which leaves the lack of student learning.  Another issues is creating lessons in small chunks versus longer lectures.  

I have learned that active learning is a time commitment for both the student and the instructor. 

Academic institutions do not always recognize the strengths and weaknesses of active learning techniques compared with traditional sage on the stage face 2 face lectures. Administration simply said - you are teaching online as the state says the school is shutdown. There has been no assistance from administration towards online learning other than providing this MaxKnowledge training course. CTE courses include lab assignments and must be performed under guidance due to safety and health issues. Simply watching a video does not relieve the student from having actual hands on practice. CTE is preparing students to accept the jobs currently needing developed skills. Active learning is hands on learning but face 2 face.

As an instructor I need to get more proficient with technology to be successful.  Also, we have a number of students that don't have internet access or share that access with their siblings who are also school age.  I need to keep this at the forefront of my mind when putting assignments together and making deadlines.    

If your class dosen't have built in redundantcy, AKA, backup plan  build one . If the power goes out, use a charged smartphone, Have an assignment where the student actually has to write with a pencil and paper, fold, use a stamp and physically mail it to the instructor. 

Sign In to comment