Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

One big takeaway from this section is the importance of having technology available and accessible to all students, so that they can effectively participate in these active learning activities, regardless of when and where they are studying from. It's so important for universities to provide the necessary resources for students living and studying in a digital world.

I also have a concern about these low-stakes, but high engagement activities--while they may be very conducive to higher-order learning and building of critical thinking skills, how can instructors get students to fully engage in these activities when the point values may be fairly low? Students are more invested in activities and assessments heavily weighted, point-value wise, and if a low-stakes activity requires too much from them, time or energy-wise, they may pass it over for what they perceive to be more "important" assignments.

Limitations and Misconceptions of what you've learned  and how you intend to apply it

I have found that technology can be a great ally in achieving and maintaining engagement in class. But I also find it a disctraction when it comes to e-learning. In my past online experience I had students who have told me that they spend 75% on social media than in their school courses. Technology has helped many people succeed but has also been an enormous distraction for most of the students.

Always be open to new changes pertaining to education. Make sure your technology and materials are working properly, are up to date and always have a backup plan. It is frustrating for the students as well as the instructor when something goes wrong or is not working, it takes way from the learning experience.

Instructors, for the most part, love what they do professionally and love to teasch, but incentives are still a good way to help motivate an instructor :)

In this section I have learned that explaining students their role in active learning is critical. Also they should understand the advantages of this teaching phylosophy.  Second, the teaching institution should be able to provide the instructor with all the necesary tool for this type of teaching. Most institutions only provide power points material for clasical presentation and lecture. The instructor can be in a frustrating situation without the needed resources even thought you are looking forward to do more dynamic teaching. 

Preparation is a key factor in having a successful online course. Technology needs to be operable to teach the lesson.

Many students have no prior experience in active learning or critical thinking. They want a list of things they need to know for the test and are not interested in learning about the subject. Another issue is that students may take a transactional approach to education in that they paid for the course not to learn but rather to get a grade.

Active Learning is a very useful tool for both the online learner and F2F learner. It requires the students to take more responsibility for their individual learning. It might take multiple attempts to accomplish each goal. I personally love active learning because it allows students to apply the concepts.

Kasey McCusker

I believe in creativity and inclusive, I have come to learn students fully participate when they fell responsible a a team player in the class.

Comment on Itzel Gutierrez's post: This is so true!! I am tech challenged and I have struggled with this aspect of teaching. The training for instructors just is not there and I have had to teach myself or reach out to coworkers for help and guidance!! Sad, but sometimes students become my teacher when it comes to tech issues!

Online learning has inspired us to rethink traditional lecturing structures and come up with creative ways of facilitating learning in a virtual environment. This is the future of learning and being adaptable is important for success.

I learned the importance of an online learning platform that runs smoothly so that the students can have an organized and uninterrupted learning experience.

The use of technology must be equitable. All students need to have quality access to technologies used in an online classroom. They also need to understand at the strat of the course how much time will need to be spent on assignments and studying. Students must take responsibility for their own learning. 

The limitations of active learning boil down to by-in.  Both the instructor and the students have to by-in the process for it to be successful.  Some instructors have trouble letting go of the "control" they have over students' learning.  Some students believe that the instructor isn't "teaching" them when they are required to guide their own learning.  I have found that explaining to students the science of why we do the activities and discussions has helped my students by-in to the things we do both in class and online.

It can be challenging to teaching online courses due to the nature of student centered learning. Meaning, students can have an attitude because they feel like they are teaching themselves and that is not what they "think" they want.

A misconception of active learning is that it may be less work for an instructor who has previously used the lecture format. In my experience, creating and facilitating active learning often requires more work and flexibility in the actual class session. There is a certain loss of control on the part of the instructor when the student is able to bring their own perspective and experience to the material and this can be scary for instructors who are new to this model. I have found it much more rewarding for both myself and the students, however, when we as instructors are willing to put in the work to adapt our session to this format. 

Both students and instructors can come to the active learning environment with biases that present a barrier to learning.  Teachers may feel students aren't up to the task of the student-centered approach, and students may feel that teachers using this method aren't really performing the task of instruction.  

I have had my share of tech failing at the wrong time.  The challenge is to be prepared for each week.

What stood out to me was the idea of active learning and critical thinking skills are not woven into standardized testing.  Also the importance of making technology equitable.

Sign In to comment