Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This module dealt with barriers I haven't encountered. Instructor and student resistance to active learning. I've been using an active learning approach for four years now, and have not encountered student resistance... fortunately. Technology is key in making active learning work online. The lack of support of online instructors by F2F instructors was interesting. Good points there about online instructors being well supported.

It is important to make sure technology is working properly and have a plan B

Being prepared and having alternate plans in case technology fails is a must for successful online learning. Online learning cannot be successful without proper technology.

Misconceptions of “Active Learning” for e-learners is the difficulty of the work assignments. E-learners may find work more difficult and time consuming than learners in traditional classroom settings. Incorporating active learning techniques preset opportunities to build and test their knowledge without barriers to impede on fulfilling goals of self-actualization. A goal moving forward is to assure learners know upfront the expectations for the course as well as ideas on how to be successful.

"One of the biggest barriers in implementing active teaching techniques is the instructor's attitude."

This statement caught my interest from the start.  I have always found that the instructor's attitude is the most important thing in teaching in any classroom or in implementing new ideas/teaching techniques. I've seen this from both sides and everyone suffers. When an instructor is not willing to try new ideas and techniques everyone suffers and when the students are not being taught with the latest techniques and strategies, the students are not ready for the workforce. 

When going back to school, most students are not sure of what they should be doing, they are confused, and they need an instructor that can help facilitate them and help guide them and encourage them in the right direction for the individual. Having great instructors/facilitators helps motivate students and they are more engaged in the learning process, online and F2F. They also score higher on an overall average. 

I think using blackboard and LMS might be benifical.

This generation no matter at what level they are, expect to be spoon-fed the information, and when the professor dosn/t do that it reflected poorly on them as an instructor. I agreed that active learning is one of the best methods to get the students involved.

When the instructor uses an active learning environment in thier classroom they need to make sure that each student understands the values of the course and provide specific instructions to students how to communicate with the instructor, use the reasources available to avoid the students from brecoming frustrated and agitated while taking the course.

I learned to incorporate 15 min. videos explaining important theory objectives.  I have attended university courses in which the professor has mini  lecture clips, I found them helpful.

Misconceptions of students' learning online are that they take away the teacher's influence and limited students' interactions. 

I learned that you should have a backup plan in place and ready if you need it. 

Instructors as well as students need to have technological knowledge . Everyone assumes that in today's society that most have technology in computers and internet. There are many that are computer literat. If schools are going to online courses instructors and students need to be educated to perform at their best.

I've found that the approach taken in providing feedback to students affects how they receive the information. Students also need to understand that constructive feedback & alignment cues (activity class) is not meant to be criticism on what they're doing wrong. Rather, it's input provided to empower them to do their personal best. This is communicated at the beginning of every semester. 

Since the active learning style of teaching requires the student(s) to be responsible for their education, it is the instructor's responsibility to explain how it is effective and why it is important. They must care and believe in its value. 

The details into active learning have been a pleasure to learn.  Even the considerations at the institutional level outside of the course were things to consider. 

have a plan A have a backup plan B make sure your students under stand that the load is on them don't overload the student give them the info in easily digestable chunks assure them that your are there to enlighten them or clarify the lesson or goal you want them to achieve so that course info is not boring easy to digest and your are there to assist them in the learning process if they hit a snag and hope their technology is working to their advantage so they can learn the subject without you having to give them the answer

Technology is key.  I find that many of the LMS work better on a computer or laptop, many students try to use their phones which creates frustration for them.

Access to technology is an ever-present issue, especially in the arts and CTE, where ideally students would put to practice what they have learned in the course using industry-specific computer applications (and when in-person machinery). In an online course involving the Adobe Creative Cloud, for instance, it is ideal for students to all have accoiunts with Adobe for access to the programs, but it is a costly monthly premium to do so.

Especially in the context of involuntary remote learning, such as the curreny health crisis, issues of technological inequity become even more pronounced.

This module brings the discussion of attitudes and misconceptions of active learning. Instructors fear active learning for a variety of reasons but primarily the fear of losing control over students learning. Despite students' attitudes towards active learning, this methodology provides students with opportunities to build and test their own knowledge. In F2F and distance learning platforms students will struggle with attention and engagement. This is where the instructor must get creative to ensure students are practicing critical thinking skills. Active learning is not necessarily " edutainment" but a way to bring instructors and students together in a course.

A way to minimize students' attitudes when it comes to active learning is to set clear expectations for students and consistency. Students can take care of their own learning process by using strategies such as scavenger hunt activities where students are discovering new information on their own. The goal of active learning is for the student to practice self-determination (responsibility), self-actualization (fulfillment), and self-reflection (accountability). 

Online instruction is more time consuming than the traditional methods and can make instructors spend more time setting up. Having efficient technology is also important and you should have a backup plan in case the technology is not working properly or at all.

Sign In to comment