Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I like the idea of 15 minute video increments. I try to find youtube videos maximum 10 min. I am fearful of creating my own videos.

Respectfully,

Kendrick Kim

kkim1@fullcoll.edu

The balance of technology and its efficiency will greatly determine the effectivness of the message as well as the students ability to receive it properly.  Visual and active learning and getting the student involved will be key in their foundation moving forward.

I learned that we should refer students as well as get help from our institutions technology center.  I know there are programs and even grants to help pay for the internet service.  Schools haaave laoners for students.  The down side is most help centerss are not open after hours and the students and instructors get fustrated when the technology is not prorperly working .

Two important factors are helping students understand that they will be doing active learning and that the technology is working correctly. Students should be told what the expectations for active learning are at the beginning so that they can be prepared for the class dynamic. Checking that the technology is working and having a plan B just in case are ways that I would prepare for class. 

Active learning is where the student is no longer sitting on the bench and watching the game. They are actively involved in the outcome or final score. There are more moving parts in active learning. It will increase in use as more instructors and students accept this way of learning.

The critical thinking statement in the lesson should be a larger lesson on its own. Each program should have these courses on critical thinking and taking responsibility for their actions/learning.

Active learning typically requires more upfront time and effort by the instructor in order to employ it. 

It is imoirtant to have a good infrastucture to maintain an online learning enviroment. This requires looking at the present infrastucure and adding technology for all involved.

Many instructors (like myself) were forced to go to online teaching because of Covid 19. I have to admit I wasn't too happy but I have adapted. I still lecture but I have incorporated more active learning techniques. This does keep the student more engaged. There are some students that still say "just teach me what I need to know", but as they move along in the course they realize they are learning what they need to know.

Ownership of learning by the student plays a key role in their success; being self-directed with learning is beneficial with active learning through self-reflection of a concept and helps to build a sense of community within the class. This requires planning 'up front' with a well designed, well structured online course and understanding of the features of a LMS that 'invites' enagement of the learners.

I learned how to respond to the different challenges instructors, students and the institution can have with active learning.

Technical problems in online are a huge problem. Nothing frustrates students/instrucotrs and rerails a class quicker.

Technological limitations and reliability can be a major hinderance to an online course.

I think critical thinking has always been a challenge for students.   to some, on line learning is less engaging so it is up to the instructor to involve them more and keep students motivated.

Online students may have attitude problems when it comes to active learning. They may find online courses more difficult than “regular” courses, do not want or know how to critically think, and may view the instructor as “not teaching.”

I personal experienced this 3 terms ago.  Students didn't like when Covid hit and we went completely online.

I like the ide of breaking it down from 5-15 minute sessions with case studies and students feedback.

Dr. Anton Hawatmeh

I learned the importance of laying the groundwork with students early on in the course. Help them understand the amount of work and the active learning model. I believe this will create a successful environment.

Students must have equipment that meets requirements, Wifi that is uninterrupted, Technology help is mandatory, and students must be willing to problem solve to effectively engage in the course. 

I agree, failing technology or issues with mediums such as Zoom or other platforms is very frustrating for both the instructor and th students. Having plan B is a great idea. In addition, I learned how important it is for students to take responsibility for their learning and for the development of self-reflection and critical thinking.

So far I've been pleased with the students' responses to being asked to work in groups, to problem solve collaboratively or come prepared in advance with answers or solutions (TBL).  It does, however, take additional time to design and prepare in advance.  The Active Learning activities should be explained in advance so the students have an opportunity to ask questions for further clarification when needed.

Sign In to comment