Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

You have to anticipate some of the difficulties that might be involved in an online course. Make an effort to provide students with avenues to remain successful. You must make clear and reiterate if necessary what the expectations and guidelnes are for the course as well. In some cases it may require further assistance for some students and you have to be prpared for those occassions as well. 

I learned that consistency, a key factor to learners success in the online environment.

The need for an Instructor reaching out to students at risk for attrition cannot be overemphasized. The online learning environment, while it has lots of advantages, can be hampered by a number of factors, especially social distance. So reaching out by way of face2face contact can make a big difference in minimizing attrition.

It is important to keep records of student commuication, and a record fileing system so the these records are easy to locate and control

there are many simularities in elearning and classroom learning as far as behaviors of the students 

l learned that it is important to have an record keeping system to organize material in an effective way, either by student or by assignment.  I also appreciate the information regarding certain student behaviors and how to deal with them.

I already do many of the things that were suggested. I did pick up a couple of new ideas I will try in the fall.

I learnt about record management that entails the different methods and the importance of storing information for future retrieval. More so, how to respond to personal emails and the need to uphold privacy. The different types of behavior and conflict management. In attrition management, the instructot needs to do all he or she can for the e-learners to alleviate alienation, excessive workload, competition and technical issues.

I have learned to keep the learning engaging as much as posseble. 

Many of the problems and behaviors we see in a classroom exist in the on-line learning environment but the solutions are different.  However many of the same aspects exist including a prompt response to students and a swift and simple response to disruptive behavior.  

There are many challenges in an online learning environment. Following procedures set by the administration, and keeping a record of all interactions is a great tip. Especially when trying to reach out to a student who has not been active in the class

Remind students of online guidelines for course work, deadlines, submissions.

I learned that it is important to consider learners indiviually when monitoring participation and progress.  Various individual circumstances  effect their ability to be successful and to be able to even complete the course.  Educators need to be vigilant in monitoring and picking up on personal struggles students may be experiences and reach out to assist them to be confident and successful.  Keep in mind that students will bring their individual personalities as well which may present problematic behaviors that would need to be monitored and addressed.

I learned that it is vital to manage variables such as wrokload and technical issues in order to maximize retention and promote success.

There are different behaviors exhibited by e-learners and as instructors we should appraoch this behaviors using different strategies to keep them engaged

Making sure to monitor all student participation, keeping all discusions on topic and letting any student know if they are off topic, just maintaining  good communication with any student that might have problem, technical difficulties are the number one cause for lack of participation and help/support should always be given.

Manage students, so0me are disruptive even at home online, others will be different, learn to manage them all so every student has the same opportunity

Biggest issue with our school is students who hold full time jobs with full time families.  Any interuption in their schedules can cause ripples in the course requirements.  These might be late or total lack of any work assignments, or work assignments that barely meet course requirements, which might lead to dropping.  I have found that getting to know the student's background/situation early on can help save the day.  I see my obligation as one who can help them meet a goal rather than just pass or fail them.

Daily communication is an ideal situation but not always possible in an online environment.

It provided very useful information about organizing communication and assignment data. One problem I see in my students is the simple task of naming a file. Some of my assignments have very specific instructions for this task. Others do not. It looks like I need to turn this into some sort of policy. I have learned not to assume that my high school students are computer literate. It's even more imprtant in an online class.

Sign In to comment