Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

There will always be those that buck the system, befriend them constructively and keep your flow.

I learned that it is important to keep good track of your communication.

In keeping detailed records and other information from communications is important. Online instruction is like the traditional class room except in the manners that the students are in person, so there are many different ways to reference what has been said including keeping a paper trail. Communicating with the students is also important because it helps them to learn more about their own communication skills and the retention of information that is being shared with them. 

Procrastination is challenging for online learners, especially those with outside family or work commitments. I try to provide as many ways for a student to communicate with me as possible. REMIND is a free app for education where students and instructors can text each other, and the instructor can send group texts. It's been fantastic for students who have anxiety about online classes; they can reach me quickly. 

Traditionally, I have retained information by class for the simple effective record-keeping system. Going forward, I will keep the 'best of the best' communications in a single file. Reason, there may be a great response to a particular question but the instructor may have forgotten which specific class it was referenced in. Thus, I will keep a tight log of, by example, instructions and will review them before posting. It is also important to keep this master record-keeping system up to date. Instructors should revisit content to keep the content from getting old or dated. 

Online learning can be a bit difficult for some students but you are there to guide them and get them through it all. 

The student type labels were informative. I have had an "intimidator" in my class before. I had to share the grading scale and say that I would use that as the measuring stick.

It's important to promote good communication with all students so they can feel comfortable reaching out about any challenges or concerns they may have. 

n an online environment, procrastination can happen, which can cause a student to fall behind in coursework.

I learned there are different ways students have different learning abilities and behaviors, which they exhibit in classrooms as well as online. 

It was interesting to learn about some of the different response types of students in the online learning environment as well as the tendency for some students to procrastinate it was helpful to identify some techniques to help combat some of the students that may dominate discussion boards or steer them in a direction that is not helpful for other students. 

I learned the reasons that students drop out of classes, which was helpful to me. The noisy, quiet, disruptive, intimidator, and procrastinator categories seem accurate, although I haven't had many disruptive students.

Artificial Intelligence is already being used by my students for discussions and written work. It's still easy to recognize, but as it gets better, grading will be more challenging. The Email section is outdated-most of my students prefer texts, DMs, and posts on social media. For them, email is for old people. Many say they don't check their school email accounts very often.

Learning about all of the different types of e-learners was fascinating. I also enjoyed the tips given to deal with challenging e-students.

I feel that the most effective way of managing the flow of large amounts of information is to create and maintain a simple but effective record-keeping system with the students. As an instructor you must find a reliable and effective way to organize and store the various forms of electronic material that will emerge from your course Also, there are different learning styles for every student.

It is very important in online teaching to keep all records, have excellent communication with students, keep the interest of the students, and keep them engaged with the class.

Keeping the reasons why students may leave a program top of mind can really reduce the chance of them dropping out of the class and program. Being proactive and taking the right measures can reduce feelings of alienation, heavy workload, competing responsibilities, and technical difficulties.

Encourage student in positive manner is critical.

Having a purposeful routine each day.  Maintaining daily communication with each student so they stay in the boat.  Helping students learn time management is vital.

The five learner profiles that will be distracting are:  Noisy, quiet, disruptive, intimidating, and procrastinators.  

Communication is key to the success of your students. It is a great way to encourage them during their learning journey. It will also allow them to give you feedback on things they may be struggling with. 

Sign In to comment