Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I am thankful I have had some exposure to online teaching with other institutions I have been employed by.  Familiarity is welcome and will give me the confidence I need to be effective in the virtual classroom.   I am thankful for this course's availability to assist me with becoming more competent with this new teaching tool

It is interesting to know that classroom management can be just as challenging with e-learners as in-person learners.  Also, did not think about how to deal with disurptive students online.  Will take the time to become familiar with my campuses policies with e-learners

ways to communicate with students, address conflicts, and attrrition.

Online learning requires dedication, and strong communication between the instructor and the students.  Procrastination tends to occur more often in the online learning environment.

Enjoyed learning about methods to reduce conflict in an online environment 

Resolving student problems in the online setting can be tricky. It is possible if you follow your institutions guidelines. 

What are the common problems in an online learning environment and how to prevent / identify/ handle them

Online courses present many challenges. Recognizing the types of behaviors of students will help you address those issues. Constant communication and minimizing attrition to the best of your ability also are some things I learned in the course. 

Students are affected by a number of factors in relation to engagement of course content.

Feelings of being overwhelmed can definitely change the atmosphere of a classroom setting.  However, the Instructor should quickly identify the students who exhibit the need of help and encourage positivity to prevent the spread throughout the class

I learned that you can counsel a student via email or a chat session, but the communications need to be private and saved for documentation. I also learned that one way to identify noisy students in an online learning environment is to monitor students who get off the subject for the assigned discussion topic and introduce new topics. Lastly, conducting a survey that focuses on tools needed to complete assignments at the beginning of a course may help you identify students who are intimidated by technology. This is helpful because some students drop out of the course as a result of technical issues. Thus, having knowledge of students who are intimated by computer technology, have no access to computers, are experiencing technical issues, and effectively resolving these challenges, will be helpful in motivating non-technical students to continue taking the course.

It is evident that the online learning challanges are similar to the live classroom challanges. I too feel anxious about managing my class remotely and feeling the pulse of the student who will need more attention. Like the live classroom management skills that were learned I hope to feel more comfortable with this senario with time.

Email communication is key in e-learning. Both the student and the instructor needs to know how to communicate clearly.

I learned in this module that instructors can use their  institutionaal policies and procedures for guidlines to help resolve conflicts with online learners along with the fact that students can be counseled through email and chat privately; where the records should always be saved for future reference.  I will definitely incorporate and use these strategies with online teaching.

I have learnt the management of the flow of large amount ot of of informationand a simple way to effectively record keeping system.

My biggest concern with fully online learning is attrition. It can be more difficult without face-to-face interaction to gauge which students are struggling since she/he could be submitting assignments, etc. but be under considerable duress with the combination of work, family, and school, so I am looking improve my ability to identify those struggling students in a fully online environment. 

Keeping students on course with the on line class, there are a lot of challenges that may disrupt the flow and amount of learning during the class.  Different types of personalities that contribute to the disruption of the class and how to help guide each personaltiies back to the goal and successful completion of the course is challenging, but achievable.

When instructing online, I will do my best to promote attrition by keeping course records, communicating and counseling students, and resolving student conflicts. As a director, I will empower my team to strive to be consistent with the same areas noted. 

I learned that there are differnt types of online learners and how to keep them all focused

Many online learners will challenge the system in various ways.  It is important to be proactive in putting systems in place in order to avoid these conflicts.  This will help eliviate the amount of time engaging in these situations and therefore give time to students who are active in their learning.  

Sign In to comment