Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Accurate record keeping is key to resolving potential student disputes.

I have learned more about the different types of learners and reasons of why they stop being motivated to continue class. 

The risk of procrastination is increased with online students. Students may drop the class if they feel left out 

The right approach to conflict resolution is important when dealing with different learners.

Utilizing different strategies to keep learners engaged and to know the college policies for disruptions online and in person learning.

There are different types of students online as there are in person. They may not be as big of a distraction during online courses, but it is important to try and redirect them.

There were so many things discussed in this module. So many things were very helpful. Learning how to engage the asynchronous learning, keeping the positive communication, have discussion boards.

Most online lectures I watch were boring. Dry as toast. Dry like the Sahara. When I do online lectures, I try (to a certain extent) to make it a performance. Show enthusiasm. Make your voice rise and fall. Students are already gearing up a boring experience. Don't reinforce it.

Students tend to procrastinate more with online learning. As instructors we need to be aware and try to identify students' communication preferences and utilize them all if necessary. 

The instructor needs to do all he or she can for the e-learners, to alleviate alienation, excessive workload, competition, and technical issues.

I learned that I have a lot of opportunities for growth in managing an online discussion thread. I will begin by identifying who my "intimidators," "procrastinators," and "disruptive" contributors are and work 1:1 to modify their behaviors. This is important for fostering a safe learning environment for all.

Understand how each learner learns is beneficial to the productivity of the student.

That it is necessary to follow institutional guidelines in regards to e-learners and that e-mail is the most use method of communication

Online courses for both instructor and student can face many challenges.  By identifying the types of student you have can help accommodate students steer them to be a successful learner and avoid attrition.  In addition, following through with the institution's policy can help instructor with students who are disruptive.

Not having the immediate interaction of in-person class can be difficult for students if they are having issues. Staying engaged and providing quick responses can help. It is also important to monitor discussions to make sure everyone is participating appropriately.

I learned that I can use the Chat feature to counsel. If I choose to do so:

Inform learners of the times when you will be available for individual consultation via Chat.

If I am not able to make a face to face conversion, I feel it is important to call the student so we can talk about the pro and cons of staying in the program.  I offer help to help them catch up, we may talk about personal issues that they feel like they can talk to me since I am not in their class all the time. I like to teach in student on grounds classes, but I have had to teach online and it can take me a few minutes to change my mind set on how to set up my classes and handle those who are quiet or write whole pages.

It is challenging to handle disruptions to the flow of the class when you cannot look the disrupter in the eye.  It is important to know your policies to help the class stay on track.

This module provided information about the different types of students you can have.  There is not that much difference between online and traditional class settings.  No two people are alike so we will always have diversity as to the type of students we have.

There are different ways to communicate through email with different types of students such as intimidators, quiet, distractive, etc.

Sign In to comment