Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned how important it is to maintain control within the classroom, even in the online setting.  This provides a greater challenge since we do no actually see the students.

In a lot of ways this section mirrors the issues in face to face instruction. E-learning will have a different twist on those issues and thus different ways to handle them. I am interested to compare the issues from face to face to online instruction.

The section about the different types of learners and suggestions on how to deal with them was great. 

There are differnt types of learning behaviors from E learners just as there are different types of learning behaviors in a classroom.

Communication skills are essential in controlling negative behavior. Establishing online guidelines and enforcing positive behavior is critical to maintaining participation.

What I learned from this course is that emailing students personally is very important. It helps mitigate misunderstandings, supports including all students, and supports interest in your course. 

There will be challenges when it comes to an online course.  Managing records, bahavior, and communication is important.  Make sure you can address any issues before it has to get to senior management.  

Student behavior management.  I had not thought of how students can be disruptive during an online course.  

The importance of having an organizational scheme to support being able to locate and retrieve students' documentation, assignments, emails, etc efficciently.

Keep communication with the students 

I know that there will be those that challenge the learning envirnoment and this module was helpful in how to handle it.  Especially the different types of learner.  I have encountered the nosiy one already.  

In Module 4, there were great strategies for dealing with problems that may arise - the biggest one that I anticipate is the procrastinators.  I like the strategies for dealing with their excuses.

Reply to Holly Voss's post:

Great points.  I don't anticipate students that will disrupt, but I do anticipate those that are likely to not participate or those that will procrastinate.  I liked the strategies suggested.

I learnt effective ways of keeping keeping course records, effective communication with students, councelling, dealing with undesirable student behaviors, resolving conflict and managing attition. 

It was interesting to learn that conflict is an integral part of an effective and dynamic e-learning component.

It was surprising that disruptive behavior would occur in an on-line class.

I will keep all communications in personal student profile folders.

Teaching students is teaching students no matter the platform.  It's doing what's best for students.  The same techniques apply:  Communication in all forms; must be genuine, encouraging, consistent, organized and effective.   Knowing students:  Virtual learning may increase time in getting to know the students, but it is still applicable as it helps avoid alienation and creates a realtionship tht fosters learning.  Behavior Management--learning to engage those that are avoiding the e-learning environment, learning to manage the dominate participants  Conflict Management , Policies & Procedures. 

I have learned that behavorial issues can also be of great challengie in online teaching and may include situations such as a learner being noisy, quiet, disruptive, procastinator and so on. I will try and apply strategies covered in this topic to deal with the behavioral issues whenever I encounter them. I will also ensure that I alway consult the my institution's code of conduct and policies before I take any action. I will also be documenting any cases that I deal with.

I learned that all the e learners need to be involved and along with delivery or information the facilitator needs to keep track of students communication, recognizing that procrastinator or non involved learners can be brought along with reinforcement from the instructor.  The instructor needs to be aware of possible signs of attrition and try and be preemptive

I now see the similarities of students and there interactions with their instructor are alike in the traditional classroom and online learning.

Teaching is an art that allows individuals to teach the same content but in their own way. Although there is freedom to teach however you please, it is important to familiarize yourself with the institution's policies as it regards to the online course. Effective communication with your students will also play a major and key factor in the overall success of online teaching.

Sign In to comment