Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The teacher's management of different student personalities, behaviors, and need for assistance will be an important factor in student success. Students may not accurately predict the amount of work necessary for online courses. Reaching out to support students when they are feeling alienated for various reasons will be an important part of your work as a teacher.

I learned that the instructor needs to do all he or she can for the e-learners, to alleviate alienation, excessive workload, competition and technical issues. I aslo learn that there are different types of behaviors from e-learners just like face to face learners,  there are students who are noisy, quiet, disruptive, intimidators and procrastinators just as in the traditional classroom setting.

Assigning study buddy could also be a way to address attrition.

There is a lot of content in this module to consider and to further research.  Usually we are taught how to manage behaviors in face to face classes, so there is quite a bit to look in to as far as how to facilitate student learning and encourage appropriate on line behavior and discussion.

Understanding the importance of keeping course record, commicating with student's behavior to resolve conflict.

For the learning environment to be successful for the student there must be clear communication with a way to track these conversations, way to address the different e-learners in effective yet sensitivite manner, and above all a way to deal with the procrastination, attitudes, or conflict that might arise.  These are similar to a face to face situation but I think could be heighten or worse depending on the student and situation.  Great tips for handling these were given!!

It was interesting to see the various disruptive behaviors and how to approach each student type in an online format.

In this module was a lot of information on how to handle "behaviors" of every kind.  As a classroom teacher it is so much easier to mange behavior and with a spoken word.  In the E-Learning environment it seems difficult to balance the behavioral side of it.  I think that sometimes people read into emails the wrong way and that straight communication is better, however, I also see the views that this module shared with us.  This would be an area that I would have to really work on. 

Stay engaged and keep students expectations high

There will be distractions and challenges in any e-learners journey. But as the instructor (as I would as a classroom teacher) I need to do everything I can to help with alienation, workload, assignment completion and technical issues. 

This is the challenging part of the online component which communication, conflict, participation, technical issues with computer technology come into play. Always make sure that every communication is well documented for students that will claim the instructor was not very helpful or didn't explain or communicate. You will have some students that need more assistance in learning how to use this type of unfamiliar ways of learning. It's best to do what you can to make these students succeed and be open to things that might make it more challenging.

It is important that you identify the students that are not participating with your online learning sessions.  You will need to contact these students and make every effort to make these student feel comfortable in this online environment.

Learning the behavior of my students and responding to them to help with any problems the may have or are struggling with. To redirect conflicting issues and assist with their new way of learning on-line as opposed to classroom.

It's important to organize your email in such a way that you can document all communication with a student's family.

That's funny how you find that you have a problem student i almost evrty catsgory. I learned that if a student is giving you a problem with something it's not always best to keep pushing that direction. Sometimes a change of direction will solve the problem

Students will come with all types of learning styles and work ethics.  It is important to be expecting these differences and be proactive when a student is procrastination.  Accountability is of the utmost importance and connecting with the instructor and understanding the requirements will help to alleviate problems. Follow the policies of the institution.

From my experience, especially the last couple of months of school, I can absolutely say that emails are something that happens in online learning situations. It is so important to set boundaries and expectations when it comes to email responses. In the past, I have had a student send me emails at 3 am. Since I was up, I responded. That was a mistake. Bounaries and expectations! Make sure that you set them up early and hold tight to them. 

It was interesting to me to learn the various ways an instructor can influence student attrition.

This module recommended strategies for our communication with students and how to counsel them as well. As instructors we need to do all we can for online students who are feeling alienated or feel as though the workload is too heavy.  Offering tips and providing support for students is important so they can be successful.

Maintaining accurate records are important to address different types of students such as procrastinators.

Sign In to comment