Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Many of the traits of good online instruction are the same a conventional instruction. How to adapt those to the online platform is very informative

Check in with students that are not participating.   Find out if it's technical difficulties, not knowing the guidelines, etc.  Monitor discussions and make sure they are appropriate.

Reply to Robyn Parker's post: I agree, on line learning poses different types of issues. The tips for helping resolve some of these issues was very helpful.

I appreciate the thorough suggestions of how to deeal with a variety of behaviors as well as how to provide feedback to retain the students due to a variety of circumstances such as lack of interaction or technical difficulties.

I learned it is important to have a good communication system in e-learning.  You will encounter similar behavior problems and/or personal issues as in the traditional classroom. Being able to handle those issues effectively will assist in your online teaching.

Teachers need to be cognizant of the different types of learner profiles. Effective communication is the key to limit conflict and there are

various strategies that I can use to reduce student attrition : personally contacting the alienated, giving tips for time management for the overwhelmed, helping set priorities for those with competing responsibilities and advice for those experiencing technical issues.

I have wondered about the topics of behavior and attrition. How will I know why a student drops a course?

Keep the learner engaged through multiple strategies.

E-;earning enviroment is important for instructors and students.

I believe that when you have the students engage in collaboration and establish the guidelines for interaction early on that it creates effective learning. When instructors focus on clear directions, strong syllabus content, well-organized materials and timely feedback as we learned in ch 2 we are able to manage our online courses more effectively.  

There is a balance required to maintain participation and contribution by students in an online environment.

I've learned how important management of the e-learning environment is in this section. Management of every aspect or section of an e-learning portal can make or break the entire e-learning experience for facilitator and student. Personally, I think that oganization seems to be one of the most important and one of the most common themes throughout these modules concerning e-learning. I think that a full  understanding the environment is key to building confidence within the classroom environments. I will definitely use the various techniques given concerning the management of online behavior, records, communication and counsuling, and remind myself of placing or storing each incident in its porper place.   

There are definitely challenges to online teaching. It is a good reminder of how our students learn and will behave in different ways relating to the online experience. As instructor, it is my job to alleviate feelings of alienation, try to help remind them of the goals they have set out to achieve and help them with any technical issues they may experience in order for them to be successful.

Learning how to deal with different personalities and also, how to help students in different situations when they feel there is no way out and they need to drop out of the course.

I havr learned that it is best to keep good reacords and hold your studetns accountable in an online environmnet.  Enrichment activitiess will keep stutends engaged in the task at hand.

Same kinds of students are in a face-to-face classroom as in an online class.  As the instructor be aware of those personalities and manage interaction to someone personally in an email to them only.  I would say remember FERPA in interacting in forums and be encouraging in every response.

I learned classroom management is just as important in an online environment as it is in traditional settings.  I learned different ways to handle this behaviour in a professional manner.

They offered very good advice on record-keeping. Advice on dealing wwtth difficult students/issuses falls short, advising that the educator refer to institutio policy. I've not seen policies for this an don't expect to as we are in a unique situation requiring online education for a short time.

There are so may issues that permeate the world of online learning, but there are always different ways to navigate this form of learning. The fact is that online instructors have to deal with motivating and directing students to achieve the course objectives. Knowing. how to deal effectively with different types of online students is so very important!

I know that there are many people that struggle with using computers. The extent of support that is available is life changing for that group. It opens up a whole new avenue for their learning experience. 

Sign In to comment