Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have learned how to manage students that may bring a challenge to the virtual classroom, and how to engage alienated students, overwhelmed students, disruptive students, etc.

We must stay in control of the learning and intervene for a numer of reasons depending on the type of student. 

I again remember the challenges of teching online with the lack of human interaction face to face can cause procrastination. I am reminded to seek out the reason such as family issues or just IT issue which can leave the student searching for answers on how to resolve to be able to finish or even start course.

V. BARKSDALE

The importance of maintaining records of learners problem dialog.

It is important to monitor student participation on a daily basis, perhaps with a spreadsheet created in Excel or Google Sheets.

I now understand the importance of keeping course records in an organized fashion. Just 9 weeks of online learning has shown me the overwhelming task of keeping emails and other communication records, assignment posts, and the like organized so that it can be found and tracked easily by class and by student.  This course has also provided helpful tips on resolving conflicts and minimizing attrition. Continued action will be taken to contact those students as needed, especially those who are intimated through the use of technology. 

Recods management is very important and you must decide how you will save student's work. Students should be taught file naming conventions so their teachers are not flooded with multiples files labled "untitled", making record keeping much more difficult.

E-mail will be the primary method of communication, so a classification system is a must to seperate Urgent messages from Junk. (FYI-I also use the Remind app and my high school students respond well to it).

E-Learning is independent, self directed learning, and self directed learning requires discipline. The same disrutive student behaviors you see in the classroom will still be there in an online setting so classroom managment disciplines must be adhered to. 

E mail should be responded to privatly.

I learned that just like in the classroom, online students will exhibit the same or similar behaviors. There is the added aspect of technical issues, and determining who truly intimidated by technology or who is using technology issues as an excuse for not completing assignments in a timely manner. Just like in the classroom, I must keep records of communication with the students regarding the behavior and how to address it. 

Remind learners to complete their assignments offline and keep a back-up on an alternative storage medium. When they are ready to submit the assignment, they can either copy and paste or attach the document for posting into the course.

There are student that are going to challenge the system. having clear guidlines and being open and willing to converse should alleviate most of these challenges

Just like in a F2F course, an online course can create certain challenges.  It is important to have a record system in place to keep yourself organized and to know how to deal with the different personalities of students.  

I learned the value of effective communication in an online environment is imaprative to student success.

I took notes on how to work with troubled learners and how to mitigate some of my frustrations (i.e., excessive emails, excuses, and begging for extensions) by updating my e-classroom policies. Also, I will incorporate an FAQ section for each lesson to minimize student questions via email. 

I learned that the most communication that will be received from students is email.  

I have learned that we have to attempt to help the student that feels alienated. We alsoi have to find ways to deal with the intimidators. They are the ones that will say they always get an A and are shocked by their grade. I will point them to the grading rubric.

i'm used to keeping the records of my class by assignments and I can see thru this that it would also be beneficial to keep a seperate file of each indivdual student

There was some valuable information presented on how to maintain communication and a good record keeping system, identifying troublesome student behaviors, providing counseling and conflict reolution to prevent student attrition.

Based on the areas in the module, I would hope that I have a better understanding of what to do in the following areas:

• Keeping course records.
  • Communicating with students.
  • Counseling students.
  • Dealing with undesirable behavior.
  • Resolving student conflicts.
  • Minimizing student attrition.

Knowing and recognizing that their are several different types of learners is very helpful.

Sign In to comment