Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Unexpected things happen, learn how to approach each one. 

Always come prepared, organized, and confident that you know what your are doing.  It is okay that a professor makes a mistake.  Own it.

As I am my own worst critic I am aware that planning and preparing are two key components for me.  I had the opportunity to teach my first clinicals yesterday and it was quite interesting and left me feeling okay about my ability to do this.  I may not have taught before however I am really good at asking questions if I am unsure about something, and I found that if I talked to my students as adults it worked out better.  They are after all adults and more importantly they for the most part are already working in the medical field to some degree or another.

Comment on pete mata's post: Remembering names is critical, you can call them out when trouble happens is very powerful. 

expecting you out of people isnt reality giving them the tools to be better is my job.

Don't be a buddy to my students, and be organized!

Comment on Natasha Ramirez's post

Natasha,

I am struggling with the same issue. The very thought of "what ifs" are one of my major barriers that I am purposefully practicing to avoid.

I struggle with understanding, especially on certain subjects, that the students may not share the same passion I have for the subject. Not only do I expect them to know more than they really should, but I expect them to also have the same excitment during class or when answering a question. 

Being prepared is best practice. 

Don't talk down to students or make them feel like a failure. 

Always be over prepared so students stay active.

While human instructors often set themselves off for failure , by getting into their way of making the very best first impression of themselves to students. The fear of the unknown can prove to be very daunting if not caroused . Feelings of insecurity can be paralyzing . Remembering that we are the experts either from work experience of content matter should be enough to allay some of the jitters . Acknowledging mistakes can also alleviate some undue pressures. Students expect that we present ourselves as professionals and they pay for our expertise , they feel cheated when that is not what is delivered. Being disorganized physically can also send messages that we are mentally disorganized as well

Over prepare for the first few classes to ensure that you are confident in how you present material. If you are speaking to fast make sure that you take a breath and slow down. We are human and humans make mistakes, laugh at it and use that mistake as a learning experience for the students. Be prompt in handing graded papers back so everyone knows where they stand in the class. 

I have learned its very important to present yourself in a confident and competent manner as an example for students because you are oftentimes the first or only example they have for the image of the profession. 

I am not very good with names. 

It can be hard to remember the students name especially depending on the amount of interactions you may have one-on-one.  I'm suggesting to myself to do better and start conversations in the  beginning or on first day of introduction.  I will have the student speak their name and give an interesting something about themselves.

Slowing down when speaking and giving time for questions.

As a new instructor mistakes are going to happen - laughing at the mistake helps the class see the professor as a human. 

confidence come with experience

When I started teaching, I was told “remember that you always know more than they do”. I think that when we first start teaching, we feel like we should be able to answer every question. But the fact is, we continue to learn as we go if we are striving to be the best instructor we can be. That means that we must know how to present ourselves professionally at all times and know how to handle classroom management. If the class is unruly your outcomes may be only partially effective. 

Overprepare is definitely something I do alot of. Also eliminate down time. I also try not to give my students too much credit. For instance, they probably don't think I'm doing as bad of a job as I think that I am doing at times.

Ensuring that feedback is presented and put in place to create success.

Sign In to comment