Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I think that most new instructors will try and overcompensate for how new they are, and they feel that they have to bombard students with a massive amount of information, even when simpler information would do well.

Important not to be best friends with your students

Make it a habit to learn your students' names. It helps to show the students that you care about them.

I think it's incredibly important, especially for new instructors, to understand that you are not expected to be perfect or have all the answers all the time.  You are going to make mistakes; you're going to say something wrong, and that's okay.  Rather than try to come up with something off the top of your head just to have an answer, it's okay to tell a student, "I don't have an answer for that, but let's do a little research together and find out".  I find that students tend to respect this response, and it leads to growth not just for the student but for the instructor as well.

Understand mistakes will happen. Do not dwell on the mistake but learn and look for ways to improve in the future. 

I had an activity planned but didn't run through it first and it was not very good at all.  I learned always practice a hybrid simulation before implementing it. EVEN if it seems so simple.

Sign In to comment