Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Try to be well organized and not to self-conscious being a new instructor!

We are going to make some mistakes, We are human. The thing of it is to learn from those mistakes. 

I have trouble remembering names and i have to remember that the students don't necessarily have the same enthusiasm about the class that I do.

As an instructor, being prepared, organized, and dedicated for class will help avoid common mistakes.

I have been teaching for almost three years and recognize many of the mistakes I made as a new instructor in the reading. The reading also helped highlight the mistakes that I still seem to be making. Mainly, not always being prepared or trying too hard to gain my student's approval instead of their respect.

This section went over new instructor fears and mistakes. It also went over how to best mitigate them. Being properly prepared for your lessons will help the most.

In teaching, there will always be a big room for improvement. Take notes of your mistakes from the previous class and develop new techniques/strategies for improving class management.

I have learned how to remain professional and not predict outcomes. I understand that I may make mistakes which I can grow from.

We are all imperfectly perfect. 

Perfection is a myth.  Be prepared and bring your passion to the table. If you screw up- so what- learn from it and keep it moving

The human side of teaching is the most important part.  Be human and then the students will trust you and listen to what you say and apply it.  Use real world examples and do your best to prepare so it will count in there lives.  

I make extra effort at the beginning of new class by writing students name and calling names during class so that next meeting I have most of their names memorized; and that seems to work for me .Students usually like when we call them by their names

I think learning the students names is very important. I'm just not sure how to learn all of them with so many students.!

I have so many super smart students that sometimes I feel that I fall short. However, I KNOW that I am more knowledgeable about my field of study. I need to remember that I am there to share what I know with them. 

I have to admit that I do find it somewhat difficult to remember every student name. However, being a new instructor in a classroom setting, I found that if I have the student sit in a particular place every time and rather than letting them sign in, I personally call the roll, and make small notations about a certain student this helps me to recall the name of the student. 

This module taught me the importance of not dwelling on perfection when initially teaching. Learning about some of the common mistakes first time instructors make helped to reduce some of the concerns that I had about managing the classroom. Also, learning students’ names to make them acknowledged and respected. 

I learned that taking notes about mistakes made, lectures, presentations, and activities done in class can help prevent from making the same mistake multiple times as well as help you grow as an instructor.

Provided a lot of self awareness concepts. 

I find that a seating chart helps me to remember student's names.  I need to work on my organizational skills. That is a weakness of mine.  I've often wondered how I sometimes go faster in some classes than others.  So the Bermuda Triangle reference makes sense.

One takeaway from this module that I believe will help me in the classroom is understanding that no matter the mistake that is made, you have to dwell on it. Being aware of commonly made mistakes will help us, new instructors, avoid making them. Another takeaway that will help me is showing my students that I'm here to empower them, not defeat them. I want to ensure that my student's first impression is that of support, not power. I clearly outline outcomes and objectives with a clear understanding of deadlines. Still, I also let them know that if they are having difficulty understanding the content or struggling with the delivery, I will help them and work through it. I will not do it for them and often won't even extend the deadline, but I will have the conversation needed to help them complete the assignment or class. 

Sign In to comment