Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have learned many situations to avoid being an instructor. I will take them into account as a reminder not to practice them. 

As a new instructor we can worry about things that may never happen. 

Excelent

I've learned that making mistake is an opportunity to grow. No one is exempted from making mistakes and by making mistake, it can be an opportunity for learning because we learn from our mistake. Just like a tennis player, when he made a mistake on how he hits the ball with his racket, he will make adjustments in order to not make the same mistake again.

Asking for help!  I need to do this more.

Not asking for help from other instructors is a common mistake.  They all have been where a new instructors are and can at least advise on approach and technique.

Comment on Shelley Freshman's post

I too struggle with remembering the student's names. I like your idea of the folders and will try that next term. I have given the students poster paper and had them make name plates and decorate them. This has helped me in learning their names and the students have enjoyed decorating their name plates. 

Preparing for class is key. Not waiting until the last minute and being over-prepared is helpful here. 

Comment on Robyn Roth's post:

Comment on Brandon Jarrett's post: Absolutely........students. feel much more at ease when they know a teacher acknowledges they too are not perfect.!!

I enjoyed the solutions for the common new instructor fears. I always try to present as I know what I am lecturing over or what I am teaching, even if I feel like I am not prepared. I never want the students to feel that, so it was reassuring to hear I am doing that correctly. I wrote notes about my lessons last year and it has really helped me not make the same mistakes as I continue my second year teaching. 

Be prepared, listen to students

Make notes about how a lecture, lab, clinical, or experience worked/didn't work for me and the students to prepare for the next time. 

As a new instructor, this was very helpful in realizing what can be expected and some tips for new instructors. I agree that planning can help prevent issues in the classroom. It was good to learn that what-ifs are not likely to occur. I still plan on using lesson plans to help me feel more comfortable when instructing a class.

Move on from mistakes and be prepared. 

I do have a difficult time remembering my students names and didn't really think much about it. I now realize that learning their names is very important to establish a good relationship with my students. 

One big mistake made by instructors is when they think they are going to be liked by every student.  The important thing to remember is that the instructor should work to gain respect, fairness, and consistency,   

Having an organized desk/lab area and being organized for class helps a lot and reduces some of the stress for new instructors. It also conveys a sense of professionalism to your students.

The importance of preparation and not overthinking mistakes.  Taking time to write down what went right and what went wrong and reviewing prior to the next time the lecture is given.  Slowing down, when becoming anxious over a topic that may be difficult instead of speeding through it to get it across to the students

Acknowledging things that do not work can help an instructor to improve their teaching.

Sign In to comment