Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Reply to David Wilson's post:Exactly.

Reply to Richard Roy's post:I practiced that for all my 12 years of college teaching. I used my phone camera to go around the class and record every student sharing their name and a little background.. and after the final exam on the last day, I would play that video in the class and students have a lot of fun as they notice how they've grown during those few weeks..

It was easy on Zoom as well, because student names were visible under their picture..

Encouraging students to wear name tags in the first few sessions (at least) can help remembering their names, but as stated in this course, I believe it's an integral part of the instructor's role. I feel so limited in a classroom when I don't know or remember a student's name, so I make it my priority to remember their names before the second session, and I practice calling on them by name in the second session to show that I care about everyone, and to consolidate my own memory..

They find it so special when I still remember their names months after they leave my class

Instructors worry about scenarios that don't actually happen, which can impede how they interact with the class

As a new instructure, I have doubts, but I am learnging to work on those doubt.  

making notes of any issues or mis-steps you may have experienced during a lab or lecture are great ways for you to avoid them for the following class. Having these in your lecture notes will help you remember to avoid those steps as you plan for your next class.

I have tended to under prepare, and go TOO fast, sometimes running out of material.

Good examples of how to be better prepared, and more effective.

I use pnemonic devices to remember names. Tyler becomes "Tyler the Creator." Tony becomes "Tony Toni Tonê." I may use them in class as nicknames, depending on the mood of the room, or maybe just in my own mind as a way to remember them.

I teach at a school for creatives, so many of my students have memorable stage-names as well.

I am so bad learning new  students names, I am always traying to be prepared and I find that if I take my time and don't get nervous I am a better teacher. 

It is okay to make mistakes as long as it is not consistently. 

Take notes on mistakes and how you solved them so you can improve yourself the next time.

Having the expectation that everyone will be like you. 

As an instructor you have to be prepared to teach your class instead of worrying about things that may or may not happen.

Reply to Shelley Freshman's post:  Thats a great idea!!!

Reply to Marquita Scott's post: I agree that works well for both instructor and student!

Learned how important an instructor image is 

Worrying about not making mistakes and helping every student do well in your classes.  

Learning from our mistakes as instructors is improving our teaching practice.  It is important to acknowledge that what works with on class of students, may not be the right fit for another class, even with the content is the same.  

I admit, I have a problem remember student's name.  I have 40-60 students per  3 week and up to 200 hundred students a term.  

I had a student cry because I was covering a class on short notice that I had not taught before; and was not prepared, it was a struggle for me to deliver the proper information in a clear and concise manner. I made the mistake (which I knew) by stating I am also still learning and this is new to me as well. I know it had the potential to devalue my intruction but I wasn't sure what else to say at the time other than encouraging and letting them know I am here to support them and will always appreciate open feedback. I will always do my best to learn from my mistakes.

We are all human, every mistake by the instructor is a learning point for everyone, mistakes are human, admit it and move on.

I have to take the time to remember student names.

Sign In to comment