Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The silent student is one to always keep in mind and think about engagement. 

Student dismissal is a delicate situation and should be handled properly.

I found that when you set clear expectation for how a student should behave and the possible consequences that it helps keep the classroom setting active and it also helps keep the environment positive.

The biggest takeaway for me in this section was documentation when it comes to difficult students, a disruptive student, angry student, and cheating student all need to have measures of documentation to navigate the situation for yourself, the student, and possibly a third party if it comes to that. I also liked the ways to incorporate your silent students, a lot of times those are your best students so finding ways to include them like the small group setting for example is a great way to bring out their potential and keep them involved. 

I have had to deal with angry and cheating students. I feel consistency and empathy go a long way without allowing them to try to make excuses for their unprofessionalism.

Taking away the opportunity for cheating and having a rapport with the students have been the most successful ways to thwart cheating for me. 

I realize that not all students are equally ready to approach the class in the most productive way, but this module helped highlight some of the ways in which I can address any disconnects between myself and a student or a student and the class itself. The idea about listening before responding aligns with my policy of always allowing students to voice their concerns or any disagreements so long as they remain civil, and the conversation doesn't derail the class unnecessarily.

I learned that assessing your students ability to learn is challenging. Perhaps someone that is quiet, loud, aggressive, disruptive can contribute to class dynamics. Acceptable dynamics in the class setting is important for class learning experience.

Remembering to remain calm and allowing the student to say his/her piece before speaking and asking what type of resolution they are wanting/expecting.  Sometimes all they needed to do was get their frustration out and had not even thought about what an appropriate resolution might be.  Sometimes venting is enough.

Being a psychiatric nurse helps when it comes to managing difficult people, but it is still good to have the opportunity to learn additional input and strategies on how to do so.

I have learned that I must consider that a student issue may stem from my own inadequacies as a teacher or a bias that I might not be aware of. I must be sure to assess my own performance when my students are struggling. I also realize that many students may try to manipulate my sweet nature and use my trust to gain favors or try and cheat on the assessments. I know that I must clarify all expectations at the beginning of class and be responsible on my end for timelines and grades so that the students don't get the idea that homework and reading assignments don't matter if I never take them up or look at them in class. 

If a student is upset, it is important to hear why they are angry. This allows a teacher to be able to accurately address the student's concern while also understanding what that student needs in order to learn and suceed.

Good tips and tricks for dealing with challenging students.

As an instructor I sometimes have to play the role of a therapist. Observe, Listen to their concerns and then reafirm my position. I am here to help you.

As an instructor you need to have clear expectations for their behaviors and how to be fair to everyone. 

There will always be varying types of behaviors. I know cheating is a big one for us. 

Disruptive students cause loss of learning opportunities for the remainder of students and must be dealt with early. If one can determine why a student is behaving in such a way and discuss solutions that both the instructor and student can agree on the class and relationship may be saved. If no solution works, documentation of all efforts is necessary to take actions to protect the rights of the rest of the class to further their learning by removing the disruptive student.

While cheating doesn't necessarily disrupt other students, it does undermine the perceived quality and integrity of the course and it's content. Cheating must be dealt with firmly but instructors must first be convinced that it has happened and have evidence when possible.

I like the series of exam ideas. Our school system monitors the students chromebooks and we can see their attempts to cheat, to which we can talk about the implications of cheating leading to their professional careers. 

i am developing the ability to monitor the students from start of class till the end of class. Being aware of what is going on with all the students which will aid them to stay on task & be more successful.  Not to give opportunity to cheaters to cheat. Do not allow issues to escalate. Listen to what the students have to ssay.

Yes, I agree with having small quizzes and then a small exam, but not a big exam that will determine pass or fail the entire course.  When people hear the words Final Exam together, they can become mentally blocked, nervous enough to forget, or even a combination of both and do very bad when taking the Final Exam.  It’s one thing to memorize the course, but its another when learning with hands on training and through life lesson experiences.

Sign In to comment