Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have an online winter session course in which a brother and sister are enrolled. They both log on at similar times, their exam grades are exactly the same, and their discussion board posts are also similar. Does anyone have suggestions about how to determine if one is doing the work for both, or if they are each earning their propper grade?

Listen is so imporant. The essential step.

this covered ways to effectively monitor your students behavior and progress in the course. also discussed ways to deal with problematic students such as anger issues or cheating.

This module has given me good ideas on how to handle cheating and maintaining order in the classroom.

Listen, listen, listen. I was always taught that as a young teacher. Listen to what your students have to say. I still believe that to this day. Have expectations for your classes and your students and make sure you have communicated that to your students. 

Regardless of how my students act, I want to deal with it in a correct way. I want all of my students to know that they are in!

It all has to do with respect. If you respect me as the instructor, then I wil respect you as the student. This means that when I am in front of the class lecturing that you are not being disruptive or disrespectful. And, when you are speaking or representing your point of view, that I am respectful of you. I feel that it is very rude when another student is having a private conversation with their friend while another student is trying to answer a question or the instructor is speaking in class. But, in addition, I feel that you have to establish those ground rules in the beginnning before the behaviors get to that point.  

By pausing a second or 2 to listen is less likely to give a react response

It is enlightening that we have a resource to deal with some of the most volatile of situations and that it is understood that some students may cause issues for the learning of the entire class. I also enjoyed the topic of cheaters in the class. It certainly isn’t fair to other students and I love the ways which it should be handled.  

All of the suggestions for managing the behavior of specific types of students, provides me with a helpful resource to refer to when challenging student situations arise.  I really valued the discussion about remaining calm and not taking any student behavior personally, so you can provide an objective and supportive response.  I think it is also vital to ensure that the expectations are discussed from the beginning and outlined clearly in the syllabus.  It is also important to document all student interactions and meetings so you can clearly justify all of your decisions in regards to actions taken to address the issues.

I've learned that each kid is different with behavior. They may respond differently to discipline differently so take time to know them. I also feel like once you take time to ask them about themselves and show interest they behave better. 

How to deal with frustrated students.

I think that sometimes dealing with a difficult situation with a student can be handled when the teacher understands where the student is coming from. Past experiences with a teacher may have the student putting up barriers that a new teacher may need to break down. But a teacher must control the situation which can be difficult. 

Listen to your student, acknowledge their concerns and then work on a solution. It may not always be in the students favor and they need to understand that. 

Dana Redmond

I agree with setting clear expectations on the first day, and sticking with them. It is important to pay attention to your students body language to know if they are learning. Make sure if you suspect cheating that you can back up the accusation with proof.

I have seen disruptive students an wondered @ what point would they be dismissed.  When their behaviours prevent a barrier to other students learning objectives found a reasonance with me. 

Allowing an angry student to vent privately away from class time is a great idea. it shows the student that you are paying attention to them as  a person and not a number. it also shows that you honestly care about them and their well being.

This module was very interesting in understanding student's behaviors and strategies on best practices in getting through them.  In this module we learned how to spot out cheating students and how as an instructor to monitor that student and ways to stop the cheating.  

I learned to remain calm and give students a chance to explain their disruptive behavior. 

During this course, it was good to learn about the managing the angry, cheating students.

Sign In to comment