Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Let upset or angry students vent and then invite/include them in the solution

Comment on Frank Holiday's post

It is not easy to change behavior of adult students. It needs of efforts and hard works using different approach may be helpful.

A disruptive student is not entitled to behave bad in class. It can be removed from class after regular disciplinary steps. 

Paying such close attention to your students will also enable you to recognize emerging problems. Recognizing these problems gives you the opportunity to prevent them from escalating into something major. Successfully monitoring students represents good student/class management.

Always listen you never know what each student is going threw. 

I have through this course how to manage my class and certain student behavior. Students have a wide range of personalities in a classroom setting you may encounter a silent, angry, or cheating student. This course has offered suggestions on how to handle any behavorial issues, while maintaining control of the classroom

Comment on Emily N Lewis's post: I appreciated that idea as well students have already contributed much effort in their course the stress to think all if that could go under because of a final exam will detour cheating

Comment on Denise Guerra's post: Yes, we as humans usually calm down if we felt we are heard.

When dealing with anger, Listen.

Very informative when it came to the different strategies to deal with a challenging student/students. 

When I was a new instructor and/or presented with new material I wasn't prepared for, I did have to spend my time behind the lectern reading through the PowerPoints. I like nothing more that using the PowerPoints for my students benefits as I wander the room during my lectures. I get to interact with my students and keep an eye on what they are up to. This module reinforced my method. I want to reach those student in the back of the class so they do not feel left out. 

I liked learning about different ways of engaging learners, from the challenging ones to silent students. I have had quite the variety of students in my classes this semester. I liked the examples and would like to try to use them in my own classroom.

I learned how to deal and engage with my silent creative designers. It's the silent ones that I don't know if they are learning and just so shy they can't open up or if they are bored with the instruction.

I've learned that "listening" is always the best tool to handle any angry, or challenging students.

I have had to deal with cheating/plagiarism and I called them out in writing and I put what they copied word for word in with the email. They never did it again or asked me about it. 

For the idea when having an angry student ask him to submit his complaint in writing 

I found several strategies in this module to be helpful and plan to utilize them in my classroom. 

I thought these series of lessons really give me an understanding of how to deal with angry students. Having them vent or write up their complaint is a good idea. This will let them take some time to formulate a coherant response which may lead them down a path of an unjust complaint. Sometimes people just complain for the sake of complaining. 

Making sure the expectation of student behavior is clearly presented from the very beginning of the class is very important. Knowing the expectation you have of the students will help them understand when there are consequences for their behavior.

Listening is a good before engaging in a difficult conversation when it comes to students that are angry or are found cheating.  Consistency is key to being fair with all students according to the expectations written out in the course syllabus.

Sign In to comment