Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have never considered that students with a "chip on their shoulder" might just be redirecting anger. Having the ability to recognize these students and presenting them with successful alternatives is imperative for a successful classroom.  This module also had excellent strategies the discourage and deal with cheating students. 

I have learned how to diffuse a situation with a disruptive student or cheating student. This area of max knowledge has given some examples of ways of handeling a cheating student. Things to expect and how a situation like  this can be escalated to the administration or dismall of the program all together.  For a cheating student it is wise to review the spacing of desk in the classroom so there is no room for an accusation. Walk around the room during test taking time and just in general make sure that alll studens know and recognize that your paying attention and you are observing what is going on in class at all times.

Set clear expectations and listen to the students

I have found that setting the tone from day one to include expectations, rules and policy is imperative. I have seen to many times where the faculty literally get ran over by the students. There is also no respect there. You do not have to be mean or cruel about it but there is a fine line to say I am the isntructor and you are the students and we are here for a common goal to see you scucceed in this course and program.

Disputive students must be confronted for the sake of the other students. Set boundaries and always listen, encouraging a written compliant to difuse situation. 

No matter how frustrated/confused/angry a student is it is important to always been the voice of calm and reason. As long as you are not making the matter worse the situation can be contained. Remember who is in charge. 

This goes back to everything else, getting your students involved.  Making sure they are with you and understand the material is important.  You are only as good as your students.

You must deal with the disruptive student because it is not fair to the rest of the students to have the learning environment interrupted. 

The strategies of dealing with Angry Students are godsend!

Taking time to speak with students regarding the issue, rather than assuming and allowing it to continue to escalate. 

The secret of managing students is to be emphatic to their needs, especillay, the social and psychological needs.

details matter always wite down or document all negative or corrective actions with students. if you don't they can make you look really bad with the administration because you can not prove or show the things that you have done that have led up to the situation. 

Clear expectations is critical. Consistency is also crucial. I tried early in my teaching career to be relaxed about certain policies until the students got the hang of my style and told them each time the standard would be increased until we reached our goal. It worked for some, and for others it was a reason to bargain. They will take advantage. Make it clear, make it consistent. 

I think managing the challenges of the shy and angry student is truly meaningful and helpful. Setting boundaries and fostering small group discussion.

Leading by example, maintaining fairness and listening to students i have found allows a relationship of respect.

In some schools the student with behavioral problems have a adult shadower with them at all times, in order to keep the student inside the classroom learning with the other students. This would not work with adults, only for children.

The information on student monitoring, behavior, and strategies will be invaluable to me as I start my teaching career.  Giving a student the option of filing a written complaint (which will be outlined in the syllabus) will be a great way towards resolution of a problem.  I find the various strategies provided to eye opening and to serve as a reminder that there are so many different types of personalities and backgrounds that each student will have.

I like the written complaint for the angry student.....if they invest in the time to write it, and stand by their thoughts, it probably has merit, especially from their point of view. What they lose on the assignment, they can get extra credit for the writing assignment, and help them vent/share their thoughts. 

I learned how to manage all types of challenging student behaivors like cheating, disruption, and silent students.  If I have an angry student, I know to take them aside and listen to them.  But I also need to get administration involved if I can't resolve it.

Having the rapport between instructor and student helps minimize cheating students to take such opportunity and allows the instructor to identify the students ability and discipline. When having to make a hard call, be sure to follow policies and procedures of institution and communicate and document the events leading to dismissal path to departmental leadership.

Sign In to comment