Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student removal is a delicate situation and this module focuses on the important aspects of this situation. In the end documentMarion of all the prior steps and actions ate essential . Students may end up respecting that you took the steps ans appropriate course of action .

All students can learn. It's their choice, but it's my responsibility to encourage them to engage, watch them closely to prevent cheating and get to know them so they feel comfortable with me and my class.

I appreciate when clear expectations of student behavior are outlined in a syllabus and when a link to the student handbook is provided in the syllabus. When an instructor takes the time to go over the policies and procedures, the instructor is being preventative versus reactive.

Great tips on how to deal with cheating. I also appreciate how to handle difficult students. 

Some students behaviors can be more destructive to the learniung environment, such as excessive anger, cheating, and disruption of class. Cheating can be minimized by avoiding objective tests and carefully monitoring during testing. Listening is key to understanding and diffusing student anger, falling back on the statements in your syllabus for support. Some excessively angry or confrontational students may require you to involve security and/or require a written complaint. Finally, disruptive students may need to be removed from class so it is important to document each behavior and interaction to ensure your fairness and objectivity is reflected.

Monitoring is something that I need to work on in my classroom. Being able to monitor my kids more frequently will allow them to continue to stay on task.

To monitor my students is to truly get to know them and their learning needs, however it does not mean that I will judge them

Listening before reacting is key

I've always told my students that if they need to vent, come to my office and tell me what is going on.  By listening to them, they feel like they are being heard which at times, is all they want.  

In "Managing Student Behavior" module, I learned useful tips on understanding students' behavior, and how to correct the behavior in order to move forward with the class.  While some individual attention and care is helpful for students, we as instructors also need to think of the class as a whole, and have the end goal of moving the whole class ahead.   And we should be aware and collaborate with the resources available to us, such as our fellow instructors, and administration if needed.

Being consistant and fair are extremely important when dealing with students. Listening to them to when they are upset.

I have dealt with both the angry student and the student who attempt to cheat. What I have learned is prevention may be easier than reacting. 

Cheating will occur when given the opportunity.

I like the idea to have the student write down the specifics and rationale to their complaint. I can see how this would diffuse a situation or help them organize their thoughts and maybe reconsider. This could be a very productive strategy. 

The importance of discussion when trying to diffuse a situation with a student and trying to come up with solutions that will be acceptable to both the student and yourself.

I have learned to treat each student as an individual. Face disruptions and difficulties early on and find ways to either adjust or change focus for those students. They may require more attention. Listen to what they have to say, process and approach the problems differently.

Good to know that teachers have the back up they need to handle a hostile situation.

I like the idea of listening and scanning the students as a performance measure.

ensure you are aligned with school policy when dealing with a disruptive student that may need to be dismissed

Take the time to really find out what is going on with a student who is withdrawn or agressive. 

Sign In to comment