Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It can be challenging when dealing with students who come to class, and they are angry.  It is going to be important for the instructor to listen to allow them and allow them to share their concerns without interrupting.  

I learned that you always start by listening. Let the student state their issue or problem, once they have finished ask some questions in regards to the students issues. After that then begin to work towards a solution.

I like the suggestion of having the student write out their complaint, that way there is no misunderstanding of the issue at hand and you and the student can work together to find solutions if the complaint is legitimate.  The of documentation of a disruptive student that may to potentially asked to leave the class is a good reminder you do not want a he said/she said situation

Listening is important to others. By listening you let them know you care about them and their educational needs. 

There is many ways to address disruptive students

When testing, have two or three test forms, same questions but change the order.

I make I listen to the student before I react.  I want to allow the student time to vent so then I can better understand and help.

It is important to listen and empathize with students; however, do not let students take advantage or manipulate you as an instructor.

Luckily, I have not had angry students. However, I have had shy, angry, and teaching students. I've never had hard evidence of students cheating, but I've made it clear that my eye was on them.

This section gave me insight towards students that may need more encouragement, students that may need more involvement, and students that may need to be removed from the classroom. In future classes I will be sure to have information readily available for students to contact me should they feel an unfair grading of their scores occurred, and then a process in which to discuss further options for possible re-evaluation of those scores.

I have encountered different types of students in my teaching career. The 'silent', 'the angry,' and 'the cheaters.' It was a challenge and I ended up becoming confrontational and was ineffective in managing the students. Over the course of time, eventually, I adopted some techniques that were very helpful. This learning module has discussed the management techniques that are effective especially with 'the angry' students. Letting the students express their anger and concerns will always be one of the effective techniques to use.

Always good to avoid confrontation, calm down and just listen

I find that consistency is key. If you set expectations at the beginning of the year, stick to those expectations, and treat everyone fairly, the management issue is easy. I do like the thought of rewards. You should always take the time to listen and understand student concerns. 

Good tips and insight.

it's the job of an instructor to create a learning environment that is  optimal for learning. 

I agree that you have to be careful how you handle the one or two students that want to ruin a class.  Having steps to do this is important.  No class should be interrupted by one student that wants to ruin the experience.  Sometimes they turn around and it all works out.  They want success too. 

Setting the foundation through a syllabus and clear instructions is the path to achieving success.

Listening actively by being open minded to a student helps manage situation and finding solution ;It may be time consuming to a disruptive and angry student that is challenging always but when students feel they are being heard , they feel appreciated and it can help the instructors to avoid assumption about the student behavior and can help find answer to the problem in efficient and productive way.

I found the suggestions for cheating interesting. In our class, students came up and exposed the cheaters because they were tired of studying their butts off. They hated that the cheaters were getting away with doing nothing for classroom work and tests. Sometimes cheating doesn't pay off! 

I usually give tests that are true/false or multiple choice. I like the idea of short answer to help to diminish cheating. Also, i think standing in the back of the room would help as well. 

I like the idea, as well, of the 4 member presentations to help the quieter students come out of their shell and participate. 

Sign In to comment