Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Managing Student Behavior | Origin: ED104

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Class Management Strategies--> Managing Student Behavior

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I like the idea of not having to give a final exam.  I know when I was in college and had to take a final, I would get so nervous that I would break out in hives and forget everthing I studied.  The like the idea of giving a series of smaller tests. I would have them visit a lab school to observe the skill they learned in action.  Then, give a test with only 5 short answer questions. Many students learn by hands-on experiences rather than reading and lecture.

Always listen then react. Allow students who are angry to explain why and take part of the solution, if a solution is even possible. Give time for the situation to diffuse but acknowledge their concern

It's interesting to learn about so many different techiques on stopping cheating and dealing with cheaters.  It's also informative to learn about how to spot and remove diffcult students that can cause problems for you and other students.

To allow frustrated students the moment to just vent to you their frustration prior to getting your point across. It could all just be a misunderstanding. 

I frequently have to deal with cheating or the possibility of it. This module has given me some good tips/insights in how to tackle this problem in the future. 

it is imperative to, when all else fails...remain calm.  Listen and diffuse the situation.  I may have, on occasion, let emotion get the better. of me 

When I encounter a disruptive student I will as a question on our study subject, not to belittle or humiliate, but attempt to have the learner engage and show they are a valuable contributor to the learning. Just trying to reel them in before any discipiline measures need to be taken.

Must allow the angry student to talk and wait for a pause opportunity to respond.  I will let the angry student express themselves with getting offended.

with angry students listen and let them vent 

It is difficult to have to remove a student from the classroom, but sometimes it is necessary if the student is not focused on learning and is disrupting the class and not fostering a learning environemnt.

It's important to listen to students and find out where they are coming from regarding classwork and tests. Getting to know the background of all students helps to facilitate learning.

I learned about managing and monitoring students, the silent, the angry, cheater, etc

I learned about the varying type of student behaviors and how to deal with them accordingly

I like that we can handle an angry student in a better way then just letting them continue to disrupting the entire class. Listening to them gives you an opportunity to see what is the underlying issues for their angry

Seth Soronnadi

That; "Students through body language let instructors know a number of things about how the course is going. By observing the body language, instructors can make any needed course adjustments to encourage and refocus the students to keep them engaged in the learning process."

An example of helping an angry student in the class is I pulled them into a quiet space to allow them to have this safe space to do their work. I allowed them to give me a signal as to when they were ready to talk and once I could see the signal I would then listen to what they are struggling with and it seemed this worked really well in creating a good rapport with the student and success in learning. 

I agree with not weighting the final too heavy.  What happens if a student didn't sleep well the night before or had to take a family member to the emergency room and didn't get home until midnight, or is a little under the weather.   I saw a student who had the highest grade in a class fail the final that was worth 50% of their grade, fail the class.  This student had helped others in the class understand course content yet failed the class.

Learning to do the right thing if a student  is disruptive  could be challenging but  will pay of if things get better. 

I have found that setting clear expectations for behavior, and consequences for not adhering to expectations helps to maintain order.  Fairness and consistency are the keys.

Sign In to comment