Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Make sure I'm the one running my classroom.

I learned that sometimes you must dismiss a student from class if they are being disruptive and hindering other students learning opportunitie.  Also, that students are most often tempted to cheat when they have an opportunity. 

Behavior that go in opposite direction of the class need to be addressed 

I find that clear explanation of the objectives is the key

How to deal with different types of students with different behavior problems.

Never assume.  Always observe and get the backstory on challenging students.

Stay on top of your students and pay attention to what goes on in the classroom.

Students who are cheaters will take every effort and opportunity to cheat. Remove as many of these opportunities as you can. Help these students to achieve success through their own efforts. This will help them to develop their own ethical perspectives as well.

All students must engage in their learning or things must be adjusted to fit them. Angry students must still engage like the rest to learn but in the end, if a student is destroying the learning environment, action must be taken.

Why is it that some students will blow up if you try to correct them for a small mistake?

Learnt various types of student's behavior and different strategies to deal with them in variety of settings. 

I realize now that most cheating occurs because of opportunity.

Paying close attention to your students will also enable you to recognize emerging problems. Recognizing these problems allows you to prevent them from escalating into something major. Successfully monitoring students represents good student/class management.

Managing student behavior can be tricky, but I've found that open and honest communication is key.  Whether a students is quiet and inattentive, or loud and disruptive, often if you just approach them and acknowledge that you've noticed a behavior, and ask what you can do to help support them, they tend to be much more receptive.

With exams, I learned it is best to sit in one place instead of walking around. I thought walking around would be a better choice, but I see know how it can be a distraction. 

I think this depends how disruptive the student is.   If it is unsafe, I remove them.  I handle everything per policy whenever possible to keep things fair while still listening and helping students

Listen to understand rather than respond right away. 

Sign In to comment